Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Thinkin

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Thinkin

Post by EasyEd » Sun May 26, 2019 1:53 am

Hey All,

On a mare's leg. I'm dual US/Canadian citizen I live in Canada on Vancouver Island. In Canada you need to be licensed to possess and acquire firearms. For long guns basically hunting rifles I think the Canadian system is fine, for handguns I think it is way overly restrictive to the extent that I think it discourages handgun ownership. For example you are allowed to transport a pistol unloaded and in a locked box to a gunsmith or shooting range by the shortest route no dallying along the way. If you wish to take your pistol to say Cabela's to trade in you need RCMP permission and remember to get permission to transport both ways or leave it at the store if you don't trade in - I guess. So while I often think of getting licensed for handguns I usually end up going why bother.

Now in Canada a mare's leg is a non-restricted (not a pistol) gun. Apparently in the US it is a pistol. Anyway maybe it is close enough to a pistol to just add it to a rifle or maybe SBR it or both - could it be an SBR one week and a holstered mare's leg the next? That is basically my dilemma I like the idea of pistol and rifle same calibre but the pistol is so restricted - is substituting a mare's leg for a pistol satisfactory? Add to it the fact that they are 15% off right now. Then sort out the calibre 357 or 44 or 45 - hmmm. 357 cheaper ammo 44 most power 45 sort of kind of somewhere in between. I might try deer hunting with it but my 7mm-08 or 30-06 might not like it. :lol:

I know I'm rambling but you see where I'm at. Any words of wisdom out there? Any experience with this? What would you do? Any thots from other Canadians?

-Ed-
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Thinkin

Post by RanchRoper » Sun May 26, 2019 8:01 am

I have never shot a mare's leg but they look interesting. If I had one I would put a rifle stock on it and leave it that way. That would be a neat little rifle to pack horseback, very compact.

My revolver is awesome to shoot. Love it.

Caliber? Either way you go, there is nothing like great big holes from a 45 Colt... :D
Attachments
20180825_123437_resized.jpg
20180825_123437_resized.jpg (113.86 KiB) Viewed 5889 times
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun May 26, 2019 8:38 am

I've always thought they are kinda neat, but no real practical use.
They only hold what 6 rounds, I'd just as soon have a loooong barreled revolver.
Much quicker shootin if necessary, even with a single action revolver.

RR, in the good ole USA, you can't legally just put a rifle stock on one unless you get a Tax Stamp, $200 for a SBR from our beloved ATF.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun May 26, 2019 8:44 am

RanchRoper wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:01 am
I have never shot a mare's leg but they look interesting. If I had one I would put a rifle stock on it and leave it that way. That would be a neat little rifle to pack horseback, very compact.

My revolver is awesome to shoot. Love it.

Caliber? Either way you go, there is nothing like great big holes from a 45 Colt... :D

Do like that revolver.

Very nice!!
0 x

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Hey All,

I did say in another thread I was going to go look at a 45 colt mare's leg at my local Cabela's. I did and I came away conflicted to say the least. It was in a word STOUT - a heavy for size piece of armament. I tried holding and aiming and have to say wobbly enough I need to get to a gym. That said pretty sure I could get used to it an shoot it decently like many on YouTube do. But do I want to invest the time? To be honest I like the concept and would - if in 45 colt or maybe 44 mag - likely SBR it but right now I am thinking maybe when I buy one get a 357 magnum takedown as basically a truck - in my case jeep gun and practice with cheaper ammo - if I like it get larger and SBR it.

Backing up one step further I have to admit I have always bought guns (not counting a 22 of course) thinking of hunting in the wide open spaces of the west. That to me always ruled out pistol calibres. I always thought elk power at 200 yards minimum. So yes I have two 30-06s and a 7mm-08. Why would you want less? So I am trying to get over my mental block that is actually stronger than I thought against pistol calibres in rifles. I have been reading and thinking about pistol calibre carbines and maybe that is where I should start - buy one and see how I do or don't like it.

All that said I am also a fan of the old west and BLRs and Win model 70s aren't the old west. I am also old enough to maybe consider admitting really rigorous hunting isn't something I can do as easily as before now that I'm 64. Maybe I should try metal plates or something instead of just sighting in when I need to. Thinking maybe a classic 1892 in a pistol calibre is the way to go till I know if I like it.

Recommendations?

Hmmm...

-Ed-
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Here's some options I would consider if looking for a pistol caliber rifle that says "old west" and is compact. I have shouldered the Henry Carbine and it was real nice. Others would be too I think. That little Yellowboy is a beauty.

Henry Carbine
Uberti 1866 Trapper
Uberti 1873 Trapper

All available in pistol calibers.
Attachments
644358m3_ts.jpg
644358m3_ts.jpg (16.4 KiB) Viewed 5737 times
UBE235 (1).jpg
UBE235 (1).jpg (15.61 KiB) Viewed 5737 times
cat00539_01_3.jpg
cat00539_01_3.jpg (13.91 KiB) Viewed 5737 times
0 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:00 pm

I've always thought they are kinda neat, but no real practical use.
Ditto this.
They look ungainly and difficult to shoot.
A 16" carbine length rifle is very handy and comes up to the shoulder quickly and will be much more accurate.
I am a traditional and conventional shooter so a 'Mares leg' to me is little more than a TV show fantasy that hangs on a bit yet today.
in the good ole USA, you can't legally just put a rifle stock on one unless you get a Tax Stamp, $200 for a SBR from our beloved ATF.
I'll gladly trade the need for a tax stamp on a SBR for the ability to carry a handgun nearly anywhere I go - in Oregon anyway.
1 x

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:08 am

Hey All,

I did want to come back to this thread. I been doin a fair bit of looking into options in addition to what RR suggested. Remember I'm thinking 1892 style trapper, carbine, short rifle.

First the considerations... Not in any particular order.

First - what is available in Canada?
Second - What is commercial ammo availability in Canada?
Third - What use is intended ... Hunting or plinking only?
Fourth - Is it capable of a low power scope - long eye relief as in scout scope or short eye relief as in "ordinary" scope?
Fourth - Cost
Fifth - Quality and aesthetics

From my looking 357/38 pretty available, 45 colt hard to find, 44 mag fairly available - between the first two. Ammo except 357/38 not super common locally but available in limited selections - maybe I haven't looked enough.

Would like to deer hunt at short range - if a scope likely max 150 yds due to ballistics. No scope under 100 I suspect. Of course plinking involved may get a gong of some kind. To me this tends to leave the 357/38 out of the mix. The 44 and the 45 with +p ammo still in.

I know 1892s are top eject so no scope but I wonder if a long eye relief scout scope is possible. The marlin 1894 may be close enough and it is scopeable.

The uberti rifles are beautiful but expensive and good luck finding one in Canada. I've never imported a gun but I suspect that is expensive going through a broker.

There is a Chiappa case hardened 44 mag trapper for a not scary price (just under 1000 Canadian) on the other side of Canada. I know nothing about quality or reputation but if the pictures are accurate it is a pretty rifle.

There are a few Marlin 1894s in 44 mag or 45 colt available. But I assume they are still Remlins so quality is hit and miss. They appear to be pretty plain Jane rifles as well.

There is an actual Winchester 1892 short rifle in 44mag or 45 colt octagon or round barrel not far from me for 300 more than the Chiappa even higher if octagon. As I understand it Win 94s are not as well made as in the past and somewhat costly while the 1892 is still miroku made and a quality beautiful gun - maybe I'm wrong?

I will say the Henry's are available in 357/38 and 44 mag but good luck finding a colt. I think if I'm looking at 1892 style rifles they should look and function and be light weight "winchestery" if that is a legit adjective. A side gate coming???

So decisions decisions decisions. If I had to choose right now it would likely be the Chiappa or an actual winchester 1892 round barrel in 45 colt - the 300 more doesn't scare me away but 600+ like on some Winchester levers like a takedown does. Maybe I should wait some more.

If you think I'm wrong on any points do say so. I'm not offended as I don't claim any real expertise on pistol calibre rifles.

-Ed-
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:15 am

Blame me for that hard to find 45 Colt ammo....I have it all....
2 x
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:34 am

Good all-around thinkin, Easy. Yeah, especially with the many decisions you're working through. Too bad that RR has all the .45 Colt ammo....shooting .45 Colt is cool.

Kind of hard to advise because your Canadian regs, ammo and firearms availability, are all quite different than what we have here. Mostly what I can do is offer "help" by asking Qs about all that stuff. All I can confirm is that hunting with a pistol-caliber carbine is a definite "can-do" option.
I have been reading and thinking about pistol calibre carbines and maybe that is where I should start - buy one and see how I do or don't like it.

And I've seen that in action when my son-in-law bought his first Henry in .45-70. He has hunted for years with many standard rifle ammo. Now the .45-70 is there as one of his top choices for deer-hunting.

Wish you the best success on your "hunts" for the new rifle, and then in the fields.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~