Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Leupold Scope for CZ American

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Leupold Scope for CZ American

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:55 am

Now that I’m back home I’m shopping for a replacement scope for my CZ. It currently has a Weaver Classic V-24 8-24x42mm.

If I go bigger than 42 on the objective I will need heigher mounts. The 42 barely clears the barrel with my current mounts. Not a deal breaker.

This picture is from the November Natchez catalog.
119313E2-F90D-4475-B3D6-29F4FCB13CFC.jpeg
I’m leaning towards the VX-5 HD series and the
3-15x44mm SF CDS -ZL2 for $949.99.

Any comments or suggestions? What I’m really looking for is enablers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Leupold scope for CZ American

Post by John E Davies » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:11 pm

What model CZ, caliber, and intended use? “American” describes the stock style, not the gun.... Those scopes are so far above what I would buy, all I could comment on would be power and rings. I prefer low scopes, so I generally don’t shop for large objectives.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Leupold scope for CZ American

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:38 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:11 pm
What model CZ, caliber, and intended use? “American” describes the stock style, not the gun.... Those scopes are so far above what I would buy, all I could comment on would be power and rings. I prefer low scopes, so I generally don’t shop for large objectives.

John Davies
Spokane WA
It’s a CZ 452-2E American in .17HMR and will be used for target. I did not know that it was about the stock. I thought it meant no sights and needed to be scoped. The stock does have a high comb.

I am replacing a Weaver Classic that has failed to keep the correct parallax.

This is the clearance with a 42mm bell w/adjustment. The line of sight is about right for the comb. If it went up slightly it would still be in a comfortable height.
39193A3D-B50C-4141-BF06-99C210702897.jpeg
This is the problem. After a 2,200 some mile road trip the parallax was way off.
BC4D1129-AF3C-48C9-B8F9-5FECDC370D27.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Leupold Scope for CZ American

Post by John E Davies » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:42 pm

No worries. CZ has American models in three different ranges - rimfire, center fire short action (the most excellent 527), and the long action models for 30.06 sized calibers.

Since you are shooting .17 HMR, the more power the better. Little holes at really long distances. I have a 6-12x on my 455 .17HMR and it definitely is not enough magnification. How does yours shoot? Mine is a dead accurate laser beam.

For rings I like the BKL self centering ones for rimfire rails, they fit the slightly weird CZ rails just fine.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Last edited by John E Davies on Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:42 pm

The line of slight on the International (FS) is lower but about the same height above the stock depending on how far forward you like to weld. With the American it is almost the same.
49BBF31B-8C4E-424A-B9C9-01FFAF33DCD3.jpeg
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:47 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:42 pm
No worries. CZ has American models in three different ranges - rimfire, center fire short action (the most excellent 527), and the long action models for 30.06 sized calibers.

Since you are shooting .17 HMR, the more power the better. Little holes at really long distances. I have a 6-12x on my 455 .17HMR and it definitely is not enough magnification. How does yours shoot? Mine is a dead accurate laser beam.

For rings I like the BKL self centering ones for rimfire rails, they fit the slightly weird CZ rails just fine.

John Davies
Spokane WA
I had a low priced 24x and it didn’t last. A height power really forces a shooter to hold steady. I’ll look at the BKL rings if the current ones aren’t high enough. With the scope I choose the current might work.
0 x

Stump
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Stump » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:23 pm

BKL-253 mount and a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 scope fits perfect on a CZ American. I use the exact mount on my Henry H001M with a Vortex 4-12x40 scope. The BKL rings and mounts do tend to set your scope a tad higher as I prefer that and is more comfortable to me.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:51 pm

Whatever you pick, I strongly recommend and AO or SF with any CZ rimfire.

The Leupold Freedom Rimfires are okay, but nowhere near the optics of my now discontinued Nikon Prostaff 3-9 EFRs. Personally, I like to keep scopes on the CZ Americans on the trim size to better balance the rifle, since I use all CZs, except the Vs, for offhand work so much. Again, we have a Leupold Freedom Rimfire in a 2-7x and one in a 3-9x with AO that are oaky, but my favorite rimfires wear the higher grade Leupold with AOs when they wear a Leupold. We use a spotting scope to check targets, so we do just fine with 4-12s and 6-18s.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:30 am

Stump wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:23 pm
BKL-253 mount and a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 scope fits perfect on a CZ American. I use the exact mount on my Henry H001M with a Vortex 4-12x40 scope. The BKL rings and mounts do tend to set your scope a tad higher as I prefer that and is more comfortable to me.
Thanks I’ll take a look at the mounts. The scope I’m looking at has a 30mm tube so my 1” mounts won’t work.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:32 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:51 pm
Whatever you pick, I strongly recommend and AO or SF with any CZ rimfire.

The Leupold Freedom Rimfires are okay, but nowhere near the optics of my now discontinued Nikon Prostaff 3-9 EFRs. Personally, I like to keep scopes on the CZ Americans on the trim size to better balance the rifle, since I use all CZs, except the Vs, for offhand work so much. Again, we have a Leupold Freedom Rimfire in a 2-7x and one in a 3-9x with AO that are oaky, but my favorite rimfires wear the higher grade Leupold with AOs when they wear a Leupold. We use a spotting scope to check targets, so we do just fine with 4-12s and 6-18s.
I’ll take a look at them Joanie. I’m purpose building it for benchrest at 100 yards so a AO is critical. I say that now.
0 x