Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Need high comb on Golden Boy

Bruce in WV
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Need high comb on Golden Boy

Post by Bruce in WV » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:08 pm

I need a high comb on my GB to use a scope and have a decent cheek weld. I would appreciate suggestions (maybe with pictures).
This one looks promising: anybody using it?
https://www.accu-riser.com/pages/Cheek-Pad-Gallery.html
https://www.accu-riser.com/precision-lace-on-cheek-pad/
Thanks
Last edited by Bruce in WV on Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Need high comb on Golden Boy

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:21 pm

first, welcome to our forum .... delighted to have you join us .... do hope you will choose to read and post often .... they ain't cheap but I do know that Lohman ===> https://lohmangunsmith.com/photo-gallery/# does make custom stocks for some Henry rifles .... looking foward to following your search .... be sure to follow the link below to where you may add yours to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 59#p145959
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:53 pm

Welcome to the forum. That leather riser looks like it would do the trick. Better than most I’ve seen. The custom wood stocks looks better although it doesn’t look like it rises as much.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:38 pm

Could you install a Varmint Express stock? I have no idea about the cost. I think adding straps and pads to a lever action looks bad.

Or just trade your gun in for one of these....

337B799B-2A8C-4877-A04D-1747080918E4.jpeg

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Bruce in WV
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Bruce in WV » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:23 pm

Getting this rifle ready to shoot is a special deal for me.
This Henry Golden Boy 17HMR is one I'm holding for my grand nephew.
It was my brother's favorite rifle, and when he died 12 years ago he asked me to keep it for his grandson. The grandson is coming of age and I want him to enjoy using it in the configuration his grandfather left it in. But the drop at heel is too much without a riser of some sort to shoot correctly. Working on that right now so he can have it for Christmas.
BTW , it is missing the rear sight. I asked the CS folks for the part # and price, and they're sending it gratis. Wow! Sure sets a high standard for other makers! Thanks HenryUSA.
There was another thread that said that the Varmint Express stock wouldn't fit; I'm new to these rifles, so I have pay attention to to you all.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:31 pm

The stocks are not interchangeable with the H001 series. I tried scoping mine and realized the rise has huge. So huge when shouldered your trigger finger seemed way to low and ackward. I don’t think they were ever meant to be scoped. Yet the original Henry was sometimes scoped with a Malcolm. I have one on a H001 Frontier and it’s a blast to shoot. Just not very user friendly.

The leather one you posted looked like it was high enough and that is where most fail. If you get one that one looks to be the best.

Let us know what you decide and post a picture.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm

What scope are you putting on it? That can make a big difference in suggestions and comments. The forum has a few members that have scoped GB they just haven’t shown up.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:26 pm

Bruce, with you all the way to make that GB work for your grandnephew. I vote for the add on cheek riser so as not to alter the gun, permanently. It may look out of place, but it's not something I'd worry about. Go for it.

As for that excessive drop on the Henry Golden series, keep in mind that this is not a design flaw on Henry's part. It's Henry staying true to the tradition of some of those early lever guns. In the mid 1800s, the head held high and proud was still a commonly used shooting position, much of that inherited from the muzzleloader days. In this style of shooting, the head was not supposed to be bent or lowered to the stock or the upper body bent downward in any way to meet the gun as you raised it to your shoulder. This was considered to be bad form. Thus there was no such thing in this style of shooting as a cheek weld. In fact, the face didn't make contact with the stock at all. Rather the stock design was intended for the gun to place the sights in the shooters line of sight without having to bend or lower the head, keeping the back ramrod stiff and straight. Then, too, snap shooting - bringing the rifle up quickly and firing immediately - was very commonly used for hunting and this style rifle fit that type of technique.

Of course, this seems completely foreign and awkward to us, now, when we try to apply our current shooting position to such a gun design. Check some paintings of folks shooting in those bygone days and you'll see some of them using it. If you buy one of the GB Henrys, my advice is to appreciate the history of that design and if you don't like that style shooting, just do a mod as Bruce is doing. The other option, of course, would be to go to the more "modern" steel versions.
4 x

Bruce in WV
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Bruce in WV » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:15 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm
What scope are you putting on it? That can make a big difference in suggestions and comments. The forum has a few members that have scoped GB they just haven’t shown up.
My brother has a Nikon Buckmaster 4x in the factory cantilever mount on it.

ImageEDC30344-A4FE-453A-8D8F-EC6E5C4D9655 by Bruce, on Flickr
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:08 pm

Welcome to the Forum Bruce. Nice you are carrying out the wish so the boy can have his fathers gun.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55