Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Found an old Weaver scope

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Found an old Weaver scope

Post by roddy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:40 pm

Ang and I were out for a drive last weekend and stopped at a few shops along the way. One of them had some used scopes in a display case, and when I asked if they had anything else, perhaps a little older, the guy behind the counter went out back for a look-see. He came back up with this little gem for $50 with a pair of Weaver rings. Sorry...I didn't even think of pictures until I had it apart.

It is a Weaver K2.5, and judging by the dust on the inside lenses, These are not "sealed" scopes. It has an extremely fine wire reticle, and I was a little afraid to disturb it. My fears were unfounded, as it was not difficult to take apart and clean. I'm guessing maybe a mid to late 1960s production date...for anyone who knows these old scopes, I'd love to hear what you think.
20190325_222222.jpg
I'll post another picture when I get it back together. I already have a rifle in mind for it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Found an old Weaver scope

Post by PT7 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:21 pm

Roddy,

Sir Henry is a good go-to person on classic Weavers. He has a number of them, and there are quite a few early-on posts on the Forum about these scopes. Here is a post from 2016:
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... opes#p1607

And this picture SH took of his Weavers collection was my favorite from the post:
DSCN2376_zpsw7wz6n10.jpg
I had a Weaver 4.5V model (1.5-4.5 X 20) 1" scope that I used on my .357 Bronze Big Boy, scope was USA-made Weaver. As far as I researched it, it was probably an El Paso-made scope built in the early 1970s. Sorry, but I cannot locate the picture of mine. And I'd say that Sir Henry's collection is far superior!

Will look forward to seeing your Weaver on a rifle. Good find.
Enjoy.

PT7
roddy wrote:... little gem for $50 with a pair of Weaver rings.... It is a Weaver K2.5.... I'm guessing maybe a mid to late 1960s production date...for anyone who knows these old scopes, I'd love to hear what you think.... I already have a rifle in mind for it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

~Пока~

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 am

PT7 wrote:Roddy...

Will look forward to seeing your Weaver on a rifle. Good find.
Enjoy.

PT7
roddy wrote:... little gem for $50 with a pair of Weaver rings.... It is a Weaver K2.5.... I'm guessing maybe a mid to late 1960s production date...for anyone who knows these old scopes, I'd love to hear what you think.... I already have a rifle in mind for it...
20190401_133003.jpg
20190401_133107.jpg
1 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:21 am

I really love those old Weavers. Thanks for sharing.
M
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:24 am

That old straight tube Weaver looks great on the Anschutz. I have some older Weavers and they work great. The clarity of the newer scopes are better but there is just something about the old steel tube scopes that look right especially on the rifles from the same time period. The 54 Anschutz actions and triggers are very nice. Mine had a lot of failures to eject but a collector wanted it because of the great wood so he has it now. I told him about the ejection problems and he said it wouldn't get shot any way.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:59 am

Love the look of those old El Paso Weavers, too, but there's no getting around the fact that you are taking big hit on the optics and waterproof and sealed, they were not. A lot of those old Weavers and scopes from that era used organic glues to cement lenses and, over time, the glues would dry and yellow, greatly reducing contrast. I distinctly remember Sir Henry saying he found a place that would redo those old lenses with modern, synthetic adhesives, but have no idea if that service is still available.
2 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 pm

I, too, am a fan of those old Weavers. Some of the "newer old ones" are still pretty good, optically, but I don't trust them to be totally water tight. Mostly I find them homes on rimfires, or lightly used, mild caliber center fire rifles. They're compact, and pretty light, so fit well in those applications.
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:I, too, am a fan of those old Weavers. Some of the "newer old ones" are still pretty good, optically, but I don't trust them to be totally water tight. Mostly I find them homes on rimfires, or lightly used, mild caliber center fire rifles. They're compact, and pretty light, so fit well in those applications.
Agreed...this one fits the 2nd category. I don't shoot it a lot, and it is a Triple Deuce. The rifle was built in '65 and I'm guessing the Weaver is from around the same period. I'm looking forward to sighting it in and trying it out. I'm quite happy with the clarity, now that the dust is all cleaned out. 2.5X isn't much, but the super fine reticle makes it more than livable.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:48 pm

There's something to be said about understatement.
2 x