Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Red dots do the job

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Red dots do the job

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am

I chose the 460, instead of the 500, because the 460 can shoot 454s and even 45 Colts, so lots of ammo choices as far as availability and recoil. Very impressive shooting the 460s in the gun, but it wasn't so much the recoil, but that awful concussion and blast that cooked me after a dozen shots or so. Of course, this was all back in my recoil junkie days. I'm reformed now ... kind of, sort of. :)
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:16 pm

You all have me in a quandary now. I had determined to upgrade my scope, focusing on the Nikon 2-7x32.

Now, for similar outlay, I am seeing decent red dot units. My traditional side says go with the scope. But...the simplicity of the dot is attractive.

Your ideas?
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Cofisher wrote:You all have me in a quandary now. I had determined to upgrade my scope, focusing on the Nikon 2-7x32.

Now, for similar outlay, I am seeing decent red dot units. My traditional side says go with the scope. But...the simplicity of the dot is attractive.

Your ideas?
Had not considered the red dot before I scoped my BBS. If I had the chance to step back, would definitely consider the RD. :roll:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Do Red Dots have zoom? If you need zoom and the Red Dot doesn't, then scope it.
markiver54 wrote:
Cofisher wrote:You all have me in a quandary now. I had determined to upgrade my scope, focusing on the Nikon 2-7x32.

Your ideas?
Had not considered the red dot before I scoped my BBS. If I had the chance to step back, would definitely consider the RD. :roll:
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Good point to consider Jim!!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Some of the higher end, combat style red dots have magnifiers that can be attached, but, no, red dots are otherwise zero magnification optics. The question, then, is how much magnification, if any, do you feel you need to shoot with the accuracy you want at a given range?

I've used red dots out to 100 yards for paper punching with good results. They're especially nice for offhand shooting at that distance. If your shooting is off a bench, at the range, and you're after the smallest possible group size, then a scope makes more sense. On the other hand, if you don't like the hassles of using a scope and the jitters from magnification, but want a bit more accuracy than than iron sights can give under poor lighting conditions or because you're having issues with iron sights getting too fuzzy, red dots are a great alternative.
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:27 pm

Good points all. My intended use for my rifle is shots under 100 yards. I understand the clarity of a 7x zoom is quite desirable. On the other hand, the longest shot I have taken is 40-50 yards. My vision is quite adequate at that range. The red dot appeals to me due to the use of both eyes.

I am not sure if the scope may hinder my awareness of the total picture. Most of my practice will be done at 50 yards.

I will be reading more on the subject. Thanks for your input.
1 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Your ideas?
What about one of the low power variable scopes with an illuminated reticle or dot? Some go as low as 1 power. My Leupold VX R 1.25 - 4 is extremely versatile. At its lowest setting it is really more like 1.5X rather than 1.25, but it is still extremely fast shooting up close. It has a red dot that you can turn off or on.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:42 pm

I'll second that Leupold R series with the illuminated dot. Have one and love it. Gives you the advantages of both a scope and a red dot, but, even at low power, still more clarity than you can get with any red dot. Dainty scopes with their 30mm tubes, they are not and better be sitting down when you see the price, but what a scope.
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 pm

Lol. Love that sitting down part. I will look into it.

Yeah, just looked. I did not pay that much for my rifle.

Interesting idea though
0 x