Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Red dots do the job

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Red dots do the job

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:28 pm

markiver54 wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:The UltraDot 25 has been my bread and butter red dot for many years and, yes, UltraDot is still very much in business. In fact, there's a new Gen 2 version with a smaller 2 MOA dot, now. Keep in mind that these are not cheap red dots. You will pay as much for one as a decent scope, but trust me when I say, these are as magnum proof as an optic can get. Have used them on some horrific recoiling Encore and Contender handguns and have never had a single failure.
IF...I keep the crazy 500 mag I have and decided to take on its abuse, do you think the "UltraDot" would a good fit, and hold up if I decided to hook up with my club to black bear hunt next season? Just curious...may never happen. ;)
WOW,, ironically that was my 500dreth post... :)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:38 pm

Congrats!
markiver54 wrote:
markiver54 wrote:
IF...I keep the crazy 500 mag I have and decided to take on its abuse, do you think the "UltraDot" would a good fit, and hold up if I decided to hook up with my club to black bear hunt next season? Just curious...may never happen. ;)
WOW,, ironically that was my 500dreth post... :)
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 pm

You owe us all a brew.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 pm

Cofisher wrote:You owe us all a brew.
:lol: :lol: If Scotty would beam you all aboard, I would oblige! :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:10 pm

markiver54 wrote:IF...I keep the crazy 500 mag I have and decided to take on its abuse, do you think the "UltraDot" would be a good fit, and hold up if I decided to hook up with my club to black bear hunt next season? Just curious...may never happen. ;)?
I've posted the picture below before .... certainly not a 500 mag but the AimPoint on our Redhawk 44 mag has performed flawlessly for thousands and thousands of full power hunting rounds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Aimpoints are great. I dont mind the red dots on leverguns. I know my day is coming and I have put red dots on several semi auto rifles. I like them. Sure would have liked to been with those boys hammerin those pigs to.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 pm

JEBar wrote:
markiver54 wrote:IF...I keep the crazy 500 mag I have and decided to take on its abuse, do you think the "UltraDot" would be a good fit, and hold up if I decided to hook up with my club to black bear hunt next season? Just curious...may never happen. ;)?
I've posted the picture below before .... certainly not a 500 mag but the AimPoint on our Redhawk 44 mag has performed flawlessly for thousands and thousands of full power hunting rounds
Thanks for the re-post Jim. Didn't see it the first time. Based on what I see though, I think I would be ok! 44 mag is pretty brutal as well!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:46 am

My wife, Olga, is currently in Olszten, Poland near her summer house on Lake Omulew. Hopefully, she'll get a chance to go there and inspect some work that has been done on it. It is surrounded by thousands of forested acres. There are tall stands used for hunting wild boar (I believe Carpathian Wild Boar?). I've never seen them the few times I've been there, but lots of them are around.

I love red dots and even on my only magnified scope, a red dot is incorporated. Makes it very fast for shooting up close. Olga and I have three non-magnified red dots, two Aimpoints a PRO and a T-2 (being delivered this week), and a Trijicon MRO. I prefer the Aimpoints. They have more clarity, particularly when shooting at 200 yards. At very close distance I really like the MRO, but once the distance gets to 100 yards I find it much easier to get tighter groups with my Aimpoint PRO. I think it will be even easier with the T2. I have a stigmatism and the T2 seems to be the best for me, followed by the PRO, then the MRO. All of them are excellent red dots.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:02 am

Yes, an Ultradot 25 will handle the recoil of the big Smith 500. I've used the UD on a 460 Smith revolver, no problem, but even more impressive, have used on the UD on 30-06, 444 Marlin, 308 and 45-70 (heavy loads) in Encore pistols - not rifles, mind you, but pistols in those cartridges. Shooting those nasties was hard on me, but didn't faze the UDs.

Aimpoints, TJs, and Eotechs are all great red dots, too, designed to withstand combat conditions. Very serious stuff, but you'll pay for them, too. All premium red dots, for sure.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 am

North Country Gal wrote:Yes, an Ultradot 25 will handle the recoil of the big Smith 500. I've used the UD on a 460 Smith revolver, no problem, but even more impressive, have used on the UD on 30-06, 444 Marlin, 308 and 45-70 (heavy loads) in Encore pistols - not rifles, mind you, but pistols in those cartridges. Shooting those nasties was hard on me, but didn't faze the UDs.

Aimpoints, TJs, and Eotechs are all great red dots, too, designed to withstand combat conditions. Very serious stuff, but you'll pay for them, too. All premium red dots, for sure.
As always...thanks very much NCG! Might just keep that thing after all. Glutton for punishment I guess.. :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry