Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Nikon "Spot-On" app

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Nikon "Spot-On" app

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:00 am

Anyone use this ballistics calculator? What's your opinion about it?

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/niko ... index.page
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Nikon "Spot-On" app

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:08 am

Have used it for years and has provided me with useable info, but, as with any ballistic software program, I place a priority on actual range time and use the software as a supplement. In other words, I use the software as a place to start when I get to the range and do some actual shooting, but would never use any software program as a substitute for actual shooting. The Nikon app, though, gives me a good place to start as to sighting in when I get to the range. That, and it's fun to use.
2 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:02 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Have used it for years and has provided me with useable info, but, as with any ballistic software program, I place a priority on actual range time and use the software as a supplement. In other words, I use the software as a place to start when I get to the range and do some actual shooting, but would never use any software program as a substitute for actual shooting. The Nikon app, though, gives me a good place to start as to sighting in when I get to the range. That, and it's fun to use.
:) Back in the dark ages when I first started shooting (around 1955) there was no such thing as a computer, let alone a "ballistic software", so it was all done on paper at the range. I've only started playing around with this modern tech in the last 4 years or so. That said, it does have some advantages over paper and pencil as long you've got electricity (batteries or wired). I feel the same way about GPS vs compass and map. :)
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:16 pm

GunnyGene wrote:Back in the dark ages when I first started shooting (around 1955) there was no such thing as a computer, let alone a "ballistic software",....
dark ages understood, lived them .... we use Nikon scopes and have several that are setup for use with this program ... don't have a clue how to use and unless I happen on a person who could sit down and teach me how to use it, I never will
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:30 pm

The Spot on is basically designed to be used with the various Nikon BDC scope reticles, but I just use the program to tell me how low or high I need to hit at 25 yards to be on at 100 yards or whatever, prior to actual sighting in. Does help in saving ammo and time.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:18 pm

that's what I use JBM Ballistics program for and doing so most certainly helps save ammo

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:31 pm

I used to use the Hornady on line Balistics calculator.
I could copy and paste the results in to a excel spread sheet and print range cards.
New computer the sight won't work.

I use Strelok now.
Compare weights, speed, and relative settings.
Realy helps when setting up sights at the range.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 am

I'll mirror what NCG said. I like the Nikon program.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:52 pm

North Country Gal wrote:The Spot on is basically designed to be used with the various Nikon BDC scope reticles, but I just use the program to tell me how low or high I need to hit at 25 yards to be on at 100 yards or whatever, prior to actual sighting in. Does help in saving ammo and time.
Yeah, the user manual says to use Spot-on to determine BDC ranges based on the external ballistics of the particular ammo you're using. That can vary quite a bit, depending on barrel length and other factors. Doesn't seem like it would be of much use except as you've mentioned.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:39 pm

My experience, too, so when trying to use those Nikon BDC reticles, so I just head to the range and do some shooting. To be honest, though, I'm still very much old school and find myself using holdover/holdunder, rather the using those ballistic type reticles. Just don't like a lot of clutter when I look through a scope. Prefer to keep things, simple. Yup, I'm a dud when it comes to being tacti-cool.
3 x