Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Strange question????

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Strange question????

Post by Vaquero » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Always heard that there is no such thing as a stupid question.
So I assume the same goes for strange questions, also.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks, Teacher CT. :)

A different science site than I looked at earlier today, but quite an interesting answer. Probably a good physics exam word problem, with the additional Qs to the students: "Why is this so? What proofs can you provide for a "Yes" answer?

For sure, I'd flunk this science exam.

PT7

CT_Shooter wrote:
markiver54 wrote:Might be a strange ? ..I'm sitting inside my small home, back to the wall in dining room. Have a large mirror in the living room about 20 feet opposite. Snowing heavily outside right now, so just looking through the irons and optics in the house. Can I then assume that the POI is 40 feet away?
Yes.
www.physicsclassroom.com wrote: Check Your Understanding
2. If Suzie stands 3 feet in front of a plane mirror, how far from the person will her image be located?

Answer = 6 feet
Suzie (the object) is located 3 feet from the mirror. Suzie's image will be located 3 feet behind the mirror. Thus, the distance between Suzie and the image will be 6 feet.

https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refln/u13l2b.cfm
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Suzie's image isn't 3 ft behind the mirror. Suzie is 3ft from the mirror. Her reflected image image is 3 ft from her eyes. Light off of Suzie travels to the mirror and back to her eyes. Still the answer is 6ft.

PT7 wrote:Thanks, Teacher CT. :)

A different science site than I looked at earlier today, but quite an interesting answer. Probably a good physics exam word problem, with the additional Qs to the students: "Why is this so? What proofs can you provide for a "Yes" answer?

For sure, I'd flunk this science exam.

PT7

CT_Shooter wrote:
markiver54 wrote:Might be a strange ? ..I'm sitting inside my small home, back to the wall in dining room. Have a large mirror in the living room about 20 feet opposite. Snowing heavily outside right now, so just looking through the irons and optics in the house. Can I then assume that the POI is 40 feet away?
Yes.
www.physicsclassroom.com wrote: Check Your Understanding
2. If Suzie stands 3 feet in front of a plane mirror, how far from the person will her image be located?

Answer = 6 feet
Suzie (the object) is located 3 feet from the mirror. Suzie's image will be located 3 feet behind the mirror. Thus, the distance between Suzie and the image will be 6 feet.

https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/refln/u13l2b.cfm
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Mags wrote:.
Suzie's image isn't 3 ft behind the mirror. Suzie is 3ft from the mirror. Her reflected image image is 3 ft from her eyes. Light off of Suzie travels to the mirror and back to her eyes.
True enough, though in the science of physics, that is described as a "virtual image" and is said to be located "behind" the mirror.
https://www.physicsclassroom.com wrote: Virtual vs. Real Images
In the case of plane mirrors, the image is said to be a virtual image. Virtual images are images that are formed in locations where light does not actually reach. Light does not actually pass through the location on the other side of the mirror; it only appears to an observer as though the light is coming from this location. Whenever a mirror (whether a plane mirror or otherwise) creates an image that is virtual, it will be located behind the mirror where light does not really come from.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Interesting AND amusing answers. Thank you all so far for that. On another note, I have one of those tall and thin dressing mirrors on the wall in BR. It bows out a bit in the middle, but if I push the middle against the wall, I look thinner.
:lol:
That's a good thing! Anyway, not the same quality mirror I originally mentioned but the thought did come to mind when looking through my sights. Actually...don't really like looking in the mirror at all anymore! :o
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:36 pm

BTW.. thank you PT7. I might have more possibly strange questions in the future. :D
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:29 pm

Sounds good, Mark. Be sure to do that. ;)

And for sure you'll get back some right answers, some wrong answers, and some strange answers, as well. :lol: Keeps us all interested, and 'tis fun!

markiver54 wrote:BTW.. thank you PT7. I might have more possibly strange questions in the future. :D
1 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:36 pm

Love the forum!!
:D :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 am

Must be one of those physics legends left over from the dark ages. If I were to actually look behind the mirror Suzie is not there, virtually or otherwise. :lol:
CT_Shooter wrote:
Mags wrote:.
Suzie's image isn't 3 ft behind the mirror. Suzie is 3ft from the mirror. Her reflected image image is 3 ft from her eyes. Light off of Suzie travels to the mirror and back to her eyes.
True enough, though in the science of physics, that is described as a "virtual image" and is said to be located "behind" the mirror.
https://www.physicsclassroom.com wrote: Virtual vs. Real Images
In the case of plane mirrors, the image is said to be a virtual image. Virtual images are images that are formed in locations where light does not actually reach. Light does not actually pass through the location on the other side of the mirror; it only appears to an observer as though the light is coming from this location. Whenever a mirror (whether a plane mirror or otherwise) creates an image that is virtual, it will be located behind the mirror where light does not really come from.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:54 am

Then shoot the mirror. The 'virtual' image won't feel a thing. :roll:
markiver54 wrote:Interesting AND amusing answers. Thank you all so far for that. On another note, I have one of those tall and thin dressing mirrors on the wall in BR. It bows out a bit in the middle, but if I push the middle against the wall, I look thinner.
:lol:
That's a good thing! Anyway, not the same quality mirror I originally mentioned but the thought did come to mind when looking through my sights. Actually...don't really like looking in the mirror at all anymore! :o
0 x