Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Reticle adjustment ?

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Reticle adjustment ?

Post by markiver54 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Whew! I do feel a lot better about the whole dang thing after all of your responses. Haven't tightened the rings down yet. Put the rifle away about two hours ago. Will re-visit tomorrow as NCG suggested. I will let you know, FWIW when I get it done. Much appreciated info!!!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:47 pm

A lot of good advice here. I've used the wheeler levels that came with some tool sets, they're helpful, but not foolproof. I also use the plumb line approach, coupled with the put it down and check again later plan ;) . There was an article in Rifle Magazine a while ago (2 or 3 years?) that discussed how much cant it takes to really affect accuracy. It matters a lot to the real long distance shooters, to those of us shooting at a couple hundred yards, and mostly less, a little won't matter much. Probably undetectable if you're shooting a 45-70 :) .
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Yornoc3, thank you as well....seems like everyone on this forum are helpful, friendly, knowledgeable and tolerant. What a great resource!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:A lot of good advice here. I've used the wheeler levels that came with some tool sets, they're helpful, but not foolproof. I also use the plumb line approach, coupled with the put it down and check again later plan ;) . There was an article in Rifle Magazine a while ago (2 or 3 years?) that discussed how much cant it takes to really affect accuracy. It matters a lot to the real long distance shooters, to those of us shooting at a couple hundred yards, and mostly less, a little won't matter much. Probably undetectable if you're shooting a 45-70 :) .
For most of us shooters that are not long range precision shooters and not having the high tech stuff those guys have or competition rifles capable of extreme accuracy at very long distance we won't notice the difference for most of our shooting except when you look through the scope and it looks canted. Get it as straight as you can for you and don't worry about it as long as it shoots well for you. Some people cant a rifle so bad you have to mount their scope canted for it to be straight for them. When I worked at the LGS I mounted hundreds of scopes for people. I always put it straight for me and handed it to them with the rings still loose and left them decide if it needed moved for them. Some moved it so far that the vertical reticle was at the edge of the back of the firing pin on a 700 Remington. That is off a long way from being straight.
0 x