Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scope Ring Failure

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Scope Ring Failure

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:24 pm

Mags wrote:blue is the better choice. ring might not be the only damage. recommend before reassembly, checking the screws and screw holes for thread damage.
the front ring was the one that failed .... I replaced it with a new one .... the rear ring was removed from the base but not from the scope .... I can see the high probability of impact over time from the recoil of literally thousands of rounds being fired causing a problem .... in looking over the screws and screw holes, I was a bit surprised to see bolt below the holes in the magazine .... I did use blue loctite but had to be very careful to make sure none dripped down onto the bolt or into the inner workings .... I have noticed that the crosshairs in the scope need a slight adjustment to get them back into a proper alignment .... hopefully I can take care of that within the next few days....
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Looking at the pieces, could it be possible that the clamp piece wasn't perfectly aligned with the ring itself and the base, and was thereby stressed? I have done that on a pair of traditional Weaver rings, but caught it prior to any damage.

I used a pair of the new (American made) Weaver Grand Slam rings on a Henry single shot .243 (Warne base) and was impressed with them; I'll probably use them instead of the Burris Zee rings, which I used a lot on Weaver style bases in the past, but are now made in China. They feel "stiffer", harder to snug up, besides not being produced here anymore :( .
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:01 pm

that is certainly possible .... I have to remove the scope (again) next week so as to send it back to Henry ..... I've had it off and on so many times lately that I wish I could use Velcro ... :roll:
0 x