Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scope Ring Failure

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Scope Ring Failure

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:05 pm

from looking through a scope, most of the time, I know I've hit or missed a target the instant I pull the trigger .... I don't get very concerned about missing when I know I didn't do my part .... I do get concerned when I miss and have no doubt that the bullet should have it its target .... yesterday while firing over 100 rounds through our BBS 44Mag I experienced way too many shots that didn't hit when they should have .... so much so that earlier today I spent some time taking a close look .... to my surprise, there was a tiny and I do mean tiny bit of movement .... my first thought as the 3 screws securing the base to the receiver were loose .... to check, I had to remove the rings and that was when I found that one of the plates that connects the ring to the base as broken .... the pictures below show the plate and the part of it that was broken off and had seize in the ring .... by the way, all 3 screws securing the base were loose as well ... a new ring has been installed and screws Loctited in place .... now, I get the pleasure to sighting in the scope once again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Scope Ring Failure

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:26 pm

Are the rings Millett angle locks. Some refer to those as mangle locks. I have really had no major issues with them but mine in all honesty are older ones that were I believe made in Mexico and then production possibly went to China. I have seen some shops when I was in their place break them by not having the part that draws in to hold on to the base or dovetail not lined up straight and they get wedged and can't draw up even and they break. I have used most of the ones I have on dovetail 22's. They have been good and if gluing bases on a 22 that has no grooves or factory drilled they allow the ability to adjust for windage to correct the problem. Don't ask me how I know. :shock: :x Do you need any of the Millett rings for the Weaver style base? I will give you some of them. I will send you several sets if you tell me the height of the ones you need. Free rings all you pay is the shipping in one of those mailers from the post office. I need to thin down some of this kind of stuff I have to much of. Send a PM if I can help. My 444 Marlin never broke any Milletts and I pour the coal to that bad boy. ;) :D
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:03 pm

bandit1250 wrote:Are the rings Millett angle locks.
the ones I have are "Weaver Grand Slam 1-Inch, High Steel Top Mount Rings" .... your offer is most certainly appreciated, wish I'd of seen it earlier .... I just ordered a spare set from Amazon ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016 ... UTF8&psc=1 .... as noted, this is the first time I've every had such a problem .... hopefully, the spares will never be needed
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Can I use that excuse also?
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:32 pm

The Wiz wrote:Can I use that excuse also?
feel free .... :D
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:17 am

JEBar wrote:
the ones I have are "Weaver Grand Slam 1-Inch, High Steel Top Mount Rings" .... your offer is most certainly appreciated, wish I'd of seen it earlier .... I just ordered a spare set from Amazon ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016 ... UTF8&psc=1 .... as noted, this is the first time I've every had such a problem .... hopefully, the spares will never be needed
Those should be good rings if they were made in the USA. It doesn’t say we’re they were made though.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:40 am

The Weaver website says made in USA http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases ... lam_steel/
But with stuff sold on Amazon, one can't be 100% certain of not being counterfeit.

If the set screws worked their way loose, then it is possible the loose ring failed being slammed by recoil. I suppose that is an obvious statement, but saying it anyway just in case.
Sir Henry wrote:
JEBar wrote:
Those should be good rings if they were made in the USA. It doesn’t say we’re they were made though.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Shawlerbrook
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Shawlerbrook » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:15 am

Agree with mags. Loose screws could have caused the failure to occur after many rounds slamming the rings forward with each shot. Always loctite base screws and torque appropriately.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:04 pm

Shawlerbrook wrote:Agree with mags. Loose screws could have caused the failure to occur after many rounds slamming the rings forward with each shot. Always loctite base screws and torque appropriately.
the screws were treated with purple loctite .... when I reinstalled them yesterday, I switched to blue loctite ....
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:43 pm

blue is the better choice. ring might not be the only damage. recommend before reassembly, checking the screws and screw holes for thread damage.
JEBar wrote:
Shawlerbrook wrote:Agree with mags. Loose screws could have caused the failure to occur after many rounds slamming the rings forward with each shot. Always loctite base screws and torque appropriately.
the screws were treated with purple loctite .... when I reinstalled them yesterday, I switched to blue loctite ....
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234