Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Leupold Freedom 3-9x33 EFR

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Leupold Freedom 3-9x33 EFR

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:42 pm

NCG and roddy, Just mounted the Leupold on my 452 FS 22 LR. Missed on clearing the tangent sight by a 1/4". I removed the sight for now. That was even using very narrow tip off air rifle rings. The rings are only .475 in width. Not even sure where these narrow rings came from but they are nice to have when needing to get the scope back a little more. Wasn't enough this time. The scope is crystal clear on every power. The parallax adjustment is closer on the yardage scale for being clear and parallax free at some of my known yardage markers here at home than any scope I have. I believe I could set it for an average distance in the squirrel hunting woods and be left alone unless shooting past 75 yds. Adjustment clicks are positive when being moved but I don't know if they are accurate on the amount they move per click until I get to sight it in. The matte finish is more like barbecue black than matte or satin. That's one minus for me. It does look fine on my CZ FS with the matte finished receiver. Overall I would say they are a great buy at their pricing and are $100 or more less than the scope they replaced. My last two older 3-9X33 EFR scopes had cross hairs quite a bit heavier than this scope. I never like them much on paper but were OK in the woods. I may just call the shop today and have another put on lay away while they are still at a fair price. I won't be able to shoot it for a few days. My wife has been really sick for two days :( and I am staying close by in case she needs anything. She has slept most of the time for two days. This happened once before as soon as she got her flu shot. Her work requires getting the shot.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Leupold Freedom 3-9x33 EFR

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks for the report. Been looking for an alternative to the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x EFR. Love the Nikon and have it on several rifles, but the large eyepiece bell and objective bell makes it a tight fit on something like a CZ FS unless I go to high rings.
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks. I also like the Nikon EFR, and have a couple of them. One is mounted on a CZ 512 with Talley 'low' rings. I also had to remove the rear tangent. A smaller diameter with the same features would be a nice option to have.

I hope your wife is feeling better soon. I've had a nasty little bug for a week now...just started to feel a bit better Thursday, and now my wife's got the sniffles and chills.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:43 am

I got to spend some time shooting my CZ FS with the new Leupold Freedom scope and I am very impressed with it. The adjustments work very well and the clarity of the glass is very good. I actually think this is the equal or maybe better than my older VX 2 3x9x33 EFR I used to have other than they had the nice gloss finish. I believe the fine plex is possibly finer than the older EFR's I had. I know at least one of my old ones had a heavier plex and that was why I sold it. I love the fine duplex for shooting paper and I think they will still be OK for squirrel hunting especially after some leaves drop off. I believe this model scope is a very good buy considering the size and how well it working on my CZ. The price at my LGS is $50-60 under the prices at Optics Planet and Amazon so that makes it a very good buy at $240. I have a couple of friends that are going to buy one off my dealer since they have looked at mine and really liked it and saw how much more money they were at other places. I have another one on lay away to pick up after I get rid of some other things I don't need. I believe it will be going on my CZ FS 22 Mag.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks for the followup. Looks like I better get to work and fine one ... or two.
0 x