Rifle Rests

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Rifle Rests

Post by Mags » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:43 pm

not a lot fun in just 2 shots ;)
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Mags wrote:not a lot fun in just 2 shots ;)
Yeah, but if it works, it works. I rather have my fun shooting at a target through a scope that's tuned in. I saw that same video and it looks so simple, provided you can a) hold the rifle perfectly still after that first shot; and b) adjust the crosshairs accordingly. The vid shows it as a two-person job, which makes perfect sense when you watch it.

It's kinda fun just figuring it all out!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:05 pm

Please send all complaints about not having enough fun and not spending more time and ammunition getting it right to the NSSF. I'm sure they'd love to have some constructive feedback. ;)
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:31 pm

ESquared wrote:
I rather have my fun shooting at a target through a scope that's tuned in.
It's kinda fun just figuring it all out!
Yes to both. But not a lotta fun in the latter with just 2 shots.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:36 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Please send all complaints about not having enough fun and not spending more time and ammunition getting it right to the NSSF. I'm sure they'd love to have some constructive feedback. ;)
uh huh, sure they would. Ruined my bore sight laser fun too, not to mention the few bucks I spent on it. Can't even use it now as a cat toy as all ours have gone to catnip heaven from old age.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:54 pm

I never had to much luck sighting in that way.

I have a Weaver 24T target/benchrest scope. It's fix 24 power so the field of view is rather small.
I start by bore sighting the scope in my shop, just to get on as straight as I can.

Then at the range we have a tall burm at 200yds were I aim for a small clod or piece clay pigeon and see were the shot lands, I estimate the adjustment up and down in MOA. Adjust and repeat.
When I see it's close. I go to paper and fine tune.
We have a pretty dry range. Its easy to see the dust plumes. After a rain though it can be a pita.

Understanding how much to adjust your scope at different distances Helps.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:42 pm

As noted earlier, I went back to my range to see if my smith had any ideas on my Monday session, where everything was printing low, and his first question was "What ammo were you using?"
In fact, when I was having issues on Monday, I wasn't using the Hornady that we used to sight in the scope (was shooting both MagTech and Fiocchi 158 gr, so figured it would be close enough), but I took some Hornady with me today and, whaddya know, they all landed just fine.
My smithie didn't seem surprised and said that handgun ammo can be all over the place, which I guess I'd heard, but didn't think it would be so drastic.
But, based on today's outing, it appears to be so. Live and learn, as we newbies say!
4 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Glad things worked for you. I had faith. Persistence can lead to accomplishing many things. And, you seem pretty persistent. Happy shooting and hunting!
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:36 pm

GFK wrote:Glad things worked for you. I had faith. Persistence can lead to accomplishing many things. And, you seem pretty persistent. Happy shooting and hunting!
Determined, persistent, occasionally stubborn, yep. Especially with new endeavors like this. Want to get it right and get all I can out of it.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:03 am

congrats, happy to read you got it figured out!
1 x