Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rifle Rests

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Rifle Rests

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:00 am

Mags wrote:My laser worked fine in full sun 50yds as long as the target face itself did not have direct sun on it. Leaning or turning the target slightly to avoid that.
Thanks for the tip! Will report back. Appreciate the help!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:00 am

I'd like to get back to "rests" for a moment. Since I've been shooting rifles[1975- ], I've always used a Caldwell forearm stamd with a lightly filled shotshell bag with kitty litter[NEW!] and rabbit eared bag for a rear rest. That way I can move then steady the rifle for bringing the scope to bear. Very steady this way. Just an idea.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:17 am

Rifletom wrote:I'd like to get back to "rests" for a moment. Since I've been shooting rifles[1975- ], I've always used a Caldwell forearm stamd with a lightly filled shotshell bag with kitty litter[NEW!] and rabbit eared bag for a rear rest. That way I can move then steady the rifle for bringing the scope to bear. Very steady this way. Just an idea.
Very good idea. I use a Vanguard Porta-Aim Stand for the forearm and on days when I can't get the shakes to calm down I drape an exercise ankle weight over the barrel. Haven't needed a rear rest, but I see that changing. As I get older too much wavering around while trying to aim. Maybe I should change my avatar name to shakey-wavy.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:00 pm

I've pretty much got the front rest/rear rest set up, but the front is a Caldwell Tackdriver, which I have't had to the range yet, but seems very stable/sturdy, and a rabbit-ear type rear rest that was actually designed to straddle a car window-sill and steady a camera lens, but it'll work nonetheless. You can flip it over to adjust height. Will have them both at the range this weekend. Will snap some pics and report back.

Here's the Caldwell rest (again, I think, but just in case):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B ... UTF8&psc=1
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:06 pm

I got the DeadShot. It seems like the Tackdriver may work better though. I guess lots of things will work as long as the barrel is steady (improvise, adapt and overcome).
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:58 am

ESquared wrote:... Will have them both at the range this weekend. Will snap some pics and report back.
Results?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:07 am

Mags wrote:
ESquared wrote:... Will have them both at the range this weekend. Will snap some pics and report back.
Results?
Got rained out. Figuring out Plan B, starting with taking the bore-sight to the indoor range, where I can try it out at 50 yds...
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:23 am

ah bummer :(
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:28 pm

I don't know what made me think I could do this by myself. It's not physically possible to hold the rifle perfectly still, look down the scope at a fifty yard target AND rotate the bore-sight at the end of the barrel.
So I didn't try, but decided to just see how well things were lined up with a decent rest to shoot from, and that turned out poorly.
Thought we had zeroed it in at about 1" high at 50 yds, but everything was landing 4-5" low. I turned the elevation knob probably a total of 12 clicks (2 at a time to start with, then 4 clicks at a time) and no change in pattern to speak of. Just wore a ragged hole at 4-5" low.
So, back to the starting blocks (the smith that helped me out is off on Mondays) to see what's what.
The effectiveness of my $33 bore sight is now not my concern, in other words...
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Hum. I think I will have to zero my scope again also. Was at the range yesterday, and shooting low. I thought about getting a cartridge type laser bore sight and using a sledge type rest. But, I think I will just try and use a sand bag type rest and adjust the scope. When I first adjusted mine, I started at 25 yards. Then, I moved to 100 yards. I was pretty happy with the results (3" high with 2 3/4" group). Since I am planning to hunt with a difference cartridge than zeroed and the zero seems off, I plan to zero using the planned hunting cartridge. Being this will be my first time out, it is a learning curve. But, I will see what will happen. No risk, very little to no gain. At worst case, it may be the scope. I have read reports of Marlin factory scopes as being poor. It could be the case. But, I plan to find out.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).