Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rifle Rests

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Rifle Rests

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:26 pm

I did a search on this topic and not much came up except for the link at the bottom of this post.

I could accessorize until the cows come home, but I'm trying to be prudent. When it comes to rests and Henrys with scopes, is there a right way vs. a wrong way?

Sled type vs. the "bag rests" (front and rear)?

All I'm wanting to do is zero in (and check from time to time) scopes, and my indoor range has nothing but a slip-on table-top that affixes to the bench in front of you. Don't know about the outdoor ranges in my area, but will be checking them out next week.

The rest referred to in a post from quite a while ago was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Adjusta ... B003FSQOTU

And then there's this type, and Caldwell also makes a similar Rear Rest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BY9G5K/?c ... _lig_dp_it

Or should I just find a range that can help me do it? Seems like it would be easy to spend another $50-$100 on something I might only use once or twice (per year, maybe).

As always, thanks in advance!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Rifle Rests

Post by Henry88 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:08 pm

I think a lot depends on the amount of the "shooting experience" you want to retain. For example, the led sleds can kind of remove you from the equation, but serve their purpose. I guess it depends on what you want to do with the rest. I'm sure a lot of people here have more than one.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:27 pm

I'm not worried about one that absorbs the recoil, so I guess I want the full shooing experience. Based on what I've learned about zeroing in scopes, it just seems that it needs to hold the rifle in a very stable position after the first shot to that the reticle can be adjusted to zero in the scope. Seems like a two person job, but I dunno, I'm new here!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:31 pm

as with so many other things, it all boils down to personal preference .... I have several different types and have come to prefer the one in your first link .... I use it for both rifles and handguns ....
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:50 pm

JEBar wrote:as with so many other things, it all boils down to personal preference .... I have several different types and have come to prefer the one in your first link .... I use it for both rifles and handguns ....
Well, that's exactly right, JEB. More research, but input welcome! Thanks for your recommendation!
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:11 pm

JEBar wrote:''' it all boils down to personal preference .... and have come to prefer the one in your first link ....
same here as JEBar. The sled at the first link is good for removing the shooter from the variables for verifying rifle accuracy and scope zeroing. That one is pretty inexpensive. Anyway, I want to be the best as I can get at off hand shooting, so I wouldn't use it for practice shooting.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:36 pm

I have ones similar to each. I have only used the bag type though (the other sled type does have a small bag for the forearm as well). It seems to be at a good height and compact. Plus, the bag seems to conform to the forearm lessening movement. But, I am not expect. Yet, it does allow me to steady the rifle which works for me.

P.S.
The link below may stimulate some ideas:
http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/news/ ... techniques
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:54 pm

I use what is similar to what I'm going to hunt with, i.e, rifle resting on stacked bags. I can't see a reason to use something different at the range than I'm going to use in a blind or "real life" shooting (hunting) scenario.
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm with you, Jake, I'm not wanting a new thing to practice with. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to zero in a scope on my own, but maybe it is best done with help, professional or otherwise...
Which means I probably don't need any new equipment, just some help!
0 x

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:48 pm

I use a laser boresighter. I like my scopes sighted to 75-100 yards. I have figured out that sighting them in at 50 feet gets them real close on paper at 100 yds.
Last edited by Lyman on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.