Rifle Rests

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Rifle Rests

Post by Mags » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:52 am

ESquared wrote:....And this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172740434811
Not the best choice in bore sight. That one is really meant for pistols (short shooting distances). That bore sight goes on the end of the muzzle and requires that the muzzle end be precisely cut off square to the bore and sights on the firearm. Even the muzzle end canted off a thousandths of an inch, the laser will not be pointing at POA. Maybe not noticeable out to pistol distances, but it will be more so at rifle distances.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:47 pm

Mags wrote:
ESquared wrote:....And this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/172740434811
Not the best choice in bore sight. That one is really meant for pistols (short shooting distances). That bore sight goes on the end of the muzzle and requires that the muzzle end be precisely cut off square to the bore and sights on the firearm. Even the muzzle end canted off a thousandths of an inch, the laser will not be pointing at POA. Maybe not noticeable out to pistol distances, but it will be more so at rifle distances.
Well, it's ordered, so we'll see. Reviews were pretty good, mostly from rifle owners, so we'll see. If it's a bomb, I'll send it back.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:23 pm

Make sure to spin the laser on the barrel to check the run out. There are some good videos out there showing what to look for.
These bore sighters are just meant to get you on paper but I have had real good luck in the past. I have a scope mounted on a marlin that was zeroed out first try.
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Lyman wrote:Make sure to spin the laser on the barrel to check the run out. There are some good videos out there showing what to look for.
These bore sighters are just meant to get you on paper but I have had real good luck in the past. I have a scope mounted on a marlin that was zeroed out first try.
Great tip, thank you, Lyman. I realize the limitations of the boresights in general, and the crapshoot nature of them in general, but this one made one of those "Lists" that floats around the interweb, so I took the plunge. All I really want to do is get it on paper, as you suggest, then I think I can go from there, but I figure it's better than starting from square one.

Thanks again!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:45 pm

ESquared wrote: Well, it's ordered, so we'll see. Reviews were pretty good, mostly from rifle owners, so we'll see. If it's a bomb, I'll send it back.
If it bombs, not likely the fault of the laser, it be a muzzle not squared off precisely. You'll know as Lyman has said when you spin the laser on the end of the muzzle.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:28 pm

We shall see what we shall see.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Well, it looks like the muzzle of my BBS/357 is square and true. Attached the magnetic laser sighting tool, rotated it and the dot didn't move a bit.

Rested it on the bag rest and peered through the scope and it looks to be exactly on, based on where the smith set it up.

Of course, my "range" was across the room from my dining room to the far living room wall, but the crosshair was just above the laser dot, so my desire to be about "an inch high at 50 yards" looks to be right on.

Will confirm the trueness of the muzzle of my SGC, just to see how much Henry is on their game when if comes to "squared off."
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:42 am

ESquared wrote:Well, it looks like the muzzle of my BBS/357 is square and true. Attached the magnetic laser sighting tool, rotated it and the dot didn't move a bit.

Rested it on the bag rest and peered through the scope and it looks to be exactly on, based on where the smith set it up.

Of course, my "range" was across the room from my dining room to the far living room wall, but the crosshair was just above the laser dot, so my desire to be about "an inch high at 50 yards" looks to be right on.

Will confirm the trueness of the muzzle of my SGC, just to see how much Henry is on their game when if comes to "squared off."
Looking good so far, but across the room is pistol distance. For the next check try the trueness test at 50yds or further. That it didn't budge even a tinsy, tinsy bit is a good sign.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:09 am

Yep, range is next. 50 yds is all I'm going to get indoors, which is where it was sighted in to begin with.

May be outside this weekend, but not sure how that laser is going to show up at 50+ yds in bright sun.

We'll see, but encouraged so far.

Not one tinsy, tinsy bit...
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:30 am

My laser worked fine in full sun 50yds as long as the target face itself did not have direct sun on it. Leaning or turning the target slightly to avoid that.
0 x