Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rifle Rests

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Rifle Rests

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:25 am

Been an interesting thread since you first posted, ESquared. When I was really a green newbie and tried to sight in my first Henry, had to wade through many similar challenges...other than working with an optic. Stayed mainly with iron sights. My "process" tracked and concluded differently than yours, but glad to be sighted in now.

Appreciate the answer your gunsmith gave you -- it is a good reminder about how easily ammo can affect shooting accuracy. I'm starting out with a new .45LC ammo to test in my revolver, and will be mindful that he said "handgun ammo can be all over the place." I also liked your final look at it when you said "didn't think it would be so drastic." I'm going to pitched my first targets from shooting my gun, and consider them history. Will start from scratch to find the accuracy of the new ammo....thanks! Your reminder will help me to "rest" & test easier when I next get to the range! ;)

PT7

ESquared wrote:As noted earlier, I went back to my range to see if my smith had any ideas on my Monday session, where everything was printing low, and his first question was "What ammo were you using?"
In fact, when I was having issues on Monday, I wasn't using the Hornady that we used to sight in the scope (was shooting both MagTech and Fiocchi 158 gr, so figured it would be close enough), but I took some Hornady with me today and, whaddya know, they all landed just fine.
My smithie didn't seem surprised and said that handgun ammo can be all over the place, which I guess I'd heard, but didn't think it would be so drastic.
But, based on today's outing, it appears to be so. Live and learn, as we newbies say!
1 x

~Пока~