Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scoping my BBS .44 Mag Carbine???

Rangerhgm
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Scoping my BBS .44 Mag Carbine???

Post by Rangerhgm » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:50 pm

I got my BBS Carbine last week and plan on using it for deer hunting here in Ohio. Most of my shots would be in the range of 30-60 yard with a rare possibility of up to a 75-100 yard shot, but those would be very few and far between.

I would love to use open or peep sights, but but the old eye sight just won't handle them.....so I'm researching scopes.

Since the carbine is so small, I want to keep the scope small & light.....I think probably a 4xor 5x max power is all I would need.

I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want something I'll regret getting.

I was looking at these 2 and got prices, for comparison, from Optics Planet:

Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 (199.99)
Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5x20 (399.99)

The Freedom is more in my price range, but I'm willing to spend a little more if the quality warrants it.

Anyone have any experience with either of these 2....or other scope suggestions welcomed?

Thanks
0 x
-------
Gregg

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Scoping my BBS .44 Mag Carbine???

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:06 pm

The Freedom is a new series and I haven't had one in my hands, yet, to inspect. I do have a couple of the 1.5-5x 3i scopes, though, and would love to get a couple more. Great optics. I do understand about being on a tight budget, though. I'm sure the Freedom would get the job done if you couldn't swing the 3i. Love those Leupold low power scopes for being trim and traditional when just about every other brand is going for that tactical look.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Nikon's Buckmasters II 3-9x40 BDC is a really nice hunting scope .... Amazon list it for $116 ===> https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Buckmaster ... B00SMX8RIE ....
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:34 pm

I saw some Leupold scopes on sale in a recent Natchez Shooters Supply catalog. I think the VX II 1-4x20 was around $250.00. I have that model, and also a couple VX 3 1.75-5x20; there's very little difference in optical quality. When Leupold upgraded their lines a few years ago, the old Vari-X 3 became the VX II, the VX 3 was the new upgraded model. Now the "new upgrade" is the VX-3i. They're all good ;) .
0 x

Todddanger
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Todddanger » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:23 am

I have the Leupold Vari-XII on my brass frame 45/70. It shoots better than I can. I had the same scope on an 1895 Marlin and never had any problems with it.
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am

I have the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20mm that has the Firedot reticle. It is crystal clear and I love the red dot. I have a slight stigmatism and this red dot is perfectly clear. I don't quite get that clarity on my Aimpoint.

I have not handled one of the scopes from the Freedom line. I would recommend can handling one and compare the clarity to the VX-3i if you can at all. But, I am happy that I spent the money on my VX-R and I can't imagine that you wouldn't be happy with the VX-3i.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm just thinking that since so much of deer hunting are those extreme low lighting shots, would you want something a little larger than 20mm?

Of course you guys that use them know...............
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Rangerhgm, I just got back from our local shop. They had just received the new Freedom 1.5-4x and I gave it a thorough inspection. Bottom line was that I was very impressed with the optics. Actually very close to what I have on my 3i 1.5-5x. For the asking price right around $200 it is a no brainer. Heck, I bought it and took it home with me. Now I have to decide which carbine gets it.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Henry88 wrote:I'm just thinking that since so much of deer hunting are those extreme low lighting shots, would you want something a little larger than 20mm?

Of course you guys that use them know...............
Tha's a common misconception on objective size. The amount of light transmitted to your eye is a function of BOTH objective size AND magnification being used (as well as ones quality and lens coatings, but to keep it simple, we'll just talk about the above two). As magnification goes up, image brightness goes down, so the only way to compensate for the loss of brightness is to increase objective size. This is a basic law of optics. No exceptions.

At 1.5x, a scope with a 20mm objective is already transmitting more light than the average human eye can use. At 3x, a 20mm objective is right there at the max brightness for what a typical younger set of eyes can use. As we age, though, the pupils of our eyes don't open as wide as when they were younger, so for most of us oldsters, going larger on objective size is a waste past a certain point. I'm now at a point where 4x with a 20mm objective is all my eyes can handle as far as brightness. Going to a 30m objective at 4x gains me nothing for brightness. Just gets me a bigger scope.

A simple formula to express all this is exit pupil. It can be used with any optical instrument. Exit pupil is the width of the beam of light being transmitted through an optic. To determine exit pupil size, simply divide objective size by magnification. For our 20mm scope set at 1.5x, we have an exit pupil size of 13.3. If we set that scope to 3x, we have an exit pupil size of 6.6mm. If we set that 20mm scope to 4x, we have an exit pupil of 5mm

The largest exit pupil a young person can use as far as image brightness is 7mm because the pupil of the human eye opens to a max of 7mm. An older person like me is now about at a 5mm exit pupil because my pupils now open to a max of 5mm. For me, then, that 20m scope set at 4x is delivering all the exit pupil size my eye can use.
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 pm

NCG, thank you for sharing your knowledge. Again, I learn here often.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.