Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scope mounting rings

FLSMOKE
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Scope mounting rings

Post by FLSMOKE » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi all,
I have a Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x32 AO that came with mounting rings. It is a dovetail mount but there is a gap between the bottom of the rings and my receiver. Installing on a Henry Lever 22 youth model with a 3/8dovetail at top of receiver. Is this gap normal? I expected the rings to be flush to the receiver. What rings do you guys use?
Thank
0 x
Henry Lever 22 youth
Glock 19
Target Pathfinder 22

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Scope mounting rings

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Not at all unusual to have a gap under the rings since there is such a wide variety of contours on all the various makes and models of rimfires with grooved receivers. Some rings will have more gap than others, too. As long as the ring clamps are tight and doing their job, shoot and enjoy.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 am

The rings that come with the scope are bulky, due to being made of aluminum. I usually replace them with an aftermarket set of rings, of which there are dozens available. Burris and Leupold, for two, make nice, but kinda spendy, steel rings that are a lot more trim.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:29 pm

I've just noticed a "gap free" mounting option, using Weaver Grand Slam rings - the American made current variety, I have no experience with the previous model made in China - and either Warne or Weaver Grand Slam steel bases (not Weaver aluminum). I will be mounting a fixed 2.75 Burris on a Henry single shot 45-70. As I played around with various rings to fit the Warne base, I found that Weaver Medium rings are the same height as Burris low Zee rings (Weaver detachable low top mount rings would be too low in this application). While I like the Zee ring's (now made in China, for whatever that's worth) compact size, and have used them a lot on Weaver type bases, they leave a small gap between the base and the ring saddle, and use a round through-bolt to anchor into the base slot. The Weaver grand Slam rings are a bit wider, use four screws per ring to secure the scope, rather than two, have a square lug that anchors into the base, and fit snugly to the top of the base. I'm thinking that they'll be a slightly better option for a rifle with the recoil potential of the 45-70, and they'll look pretty good, too, since I was able to get the black finish to match the gloss scope. One more option to think about ;) .
1 x