Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy scope mounting question

bodark
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Big Boy scope mounting question

Post by bodark » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:05 pm

I am considering the purchase of a BB 357 Magnum rifle. I will be mounting a scope. I know I can get the correct scope base from Henry. However, is there anything special I need to know about either the height of the scope rings or the length or diameter of the scope, so there is no interference with the rear sight on the rifle? Thanks for your help.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Big Boy scope mounting question

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:54 pm

I've found that its best for me to take the rifle and scope to a gunsmith and have him determine the mounting hardware
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:26 pm

Suggestion. If you plan to primarily use the scope and not the Henry iron sight, why not just remove the buckhorn? It's really simple to drift out that dovetail sight from the barrel. Skinner makes a barrel blank that fills in the dovetail nicely, and the blank's height is lower, too. Of course, your choice. You may want the buckhorn on the rifle to maintain the stock equipment on the Henry.
0 x

~Пока~

Mr.RoC
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by Mr.RoC » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:15 am

Depends on the objective lens size. That pretty much determines your minimum ring height.

I purchased a Leopold 1.5 - 5x scope with a 1" tube and objective lens and purchased Leupold's low scope rings and the front objective sits above the buckhorn sights at its lowest position.

As mentioned above, talk to your LGS and bring your rifle in with you if permitted.

Good Luck
0 x

bodark
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by bodark » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Thank you for your replies.
0 x