Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Steel Carbine H012MR Scope Mounts and Ideas?

Pawn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry Steel Carbine H012MR Scope Mounts and Ideas?

Post by Pawn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Good day all,

I am the proud new owner of a Henry model H012MR - the steel carbine in 357. I went to the range, and soon realized I'd need a scope.

I ordered a Redfield 2-7x34 scope online, and went to the local gun shop and bought a weaver 63B mount and some medium 1" leupold rings.

I had read on one thread the 63B would work, but on others that it won't. Today I was cleaning the carbine, and comparing the mount, and while the holes line up two ways - either forward or rearward, I'm not certain it'll work. I'm not going to cry if I have to order the henry mount, but was wondering if anyone else has that mount on that particular carbine, and if they can post a photo if they do?

I do not yet have the scope, so can't play with placement re: eye relief, etc...

Best,

Pawn
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Henry Steel Carbine H012MR Scope Mounts and Ideas?

Post by Cofisher » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:52 pm

I have not held it in my hand, but the Ranger Point people say they have a low profile rail that fits the steel receiver. Someone else here has installed it and may be able to give you some advice. Good luck. Congrats on the Henry!
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Look at the thread under "scopes" by Jaker. About scope mounting on the BBS 357 Carbine. Member Rwortman put up pics of the Ranger Point rail on his rifle. It looks good.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Pawn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Pawn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks for the replies - I had looked at that thread - that's one of the places which helped make the decision for the scope I bought. I'll google Ranger and see what they have.
0 x

Owly
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Owly » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Yep, I used the Weaver 63B on my Big Biy Steel 357.

The guy at my LGS said it was a direct fit, but it wasn't. The two rear holes lined up perfectly, but the forward hole needed to be elongated ever so slightly.

What I really like with this mount is that the iron sights can still be used when the scope is removed without having to remove the mount as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Pawn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Pawn » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:18 am

Thanks Owly! I was hoping I could still use the irons if I removed the scope. I'll look closer at the holes.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:17 am

I used the same rail on my BB steel. Yep, you gotta modify one of the holes. Doesn't take much, but it won't fit as is. I thought about using a properly sized countersink bit holding the rail firmly in a vise on a drill press. I was going to use a straight drill bit first and get the center of the hole drilled first, then run the countersink until the bevel matched the other holes. In the end, I just pulled out a small round file and did it by hand. Tried to keep the angle the same as the angle of the countersink. Seemed to work fine. I used it initially to mount a small holo red dot. I swapped to a 3-9x40 scope and didn't even worry about the mount rail. It is still solid as a rock.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Pawn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Pawn » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks for the info Clovishound. I had intended to use a round file as well :) Once my gun vise and the scope kit mounting kit come in, I'll take a closer look at it.
0 x