Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

This old scope (mounted pictures posted)

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: This old scope (mounted pictures posted)

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:54 am

Bumping this thread up. I was going to start a new one, but this is exactly on point. I have kind of a thing for old scopes, too, specifically, low power straight tube types. You know, the kind almost nobody (except Leupold?) makes anymore ;) . I think this style best serves a carbine type hunting rifle, especially in the "short range" calibers. Over the weekend, I picked up a very good Redfield fixed 2 3/4X with a post reticle at a gun show. I already have a 2 1/2X Weaver post, also picked up at a gun show a few years ago, and a 2 3/4X Burris Plex I found at one in April. One of them will go on the Henry single shot 45-70 that's now overdue, and I'll fit the others to a couple of old rifles where they'll be appropriate. But the Henry gets first dibs :) .
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:16 am

I know that a lot of vintage El Paso made Weavers used that same post reticle. Was very popular as a brush gun scope reticle, back in the day.
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:19 pm

After I posted about the scopes with posts ;) , I got to thinking about it a bit more. I believe the original idea was to give shooters an image like they were used to seeing with peep sights. Originally, post reticles didn't have the horizontal wire, that was added as a point of reference to reduce canting the rifle, as I understand it. My favorite hunting reticle is a 3P #4 (German) style, but those old post and cross hair are close. It's remembering to aim with the top of the post that can mess with ya :) .
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:06 pm

I think the post may have been more durable in the early days also.

Also, people looking for low powered straight tube scopes are probably buying red dot or even night optics.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:08 pm

People looking for low powered straight tube scopes are probably buying red dot or even night optics these days, except maybe lever gun owners :D
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:46 am

And single shot shooters ;) . I admit to being a curmudgeon when it comes to high tech optics. I removed a red dot from a turkey gun, because I looked at it, instead of through it (too much clutter around the tube); went to a "turkey scope" instead. I just prefer the clean image seen through a scope. I like the idea of peep sights better than the practice, though I have a couple of peep fitted rifles, just in case. I guess that's what shooting with a scope for 50 years will do to ya :) .
2 x

MapleHill
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by MapleHill » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:29 pm

(sorry I'm late) The German post reticle works great on a hunting rifle, easy target acquisition, i.e. running deer. I have a couple of them, older Redfields and Weavers, I really like them. Not necessarily designed for shooting tiny groups, but work great for hunting.
1 x