Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scope on 357 mag carbine reccomendations

Jaker
Tenderfoot

Scope on 357 mag carbine reccomendations

Post by Jaker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:47 pm

After shooting three rounds I noticed I did not like the size of the brass bead on the Henry and now considering a scope...I noticed on Henry's website they have a Leupold on there gun, please give me your reccomendations on a good scope for my carbine!
Thanks!!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Scope on 357 mag carbine reccomendations

Post by JEBar » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:23 pm

many years ago there was an old adage that for a rifle scope its good to have one power for every 10 yards you anticipate for most of your shooting .... don't know if that's still in vogue but it has served me well .... we consider our Henry 44 mag and Henry 45-70 to be 100 yard guns so we have mounted 3 - 9 Nikons on them .... that isn't to say they aren't capable at longer ranges, just that is where we are comfortable .... in August when we order a Henry 357 it will fall in the same group and will be topped with a 3 - 9
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:04 pm

JEBar wrote:many years ago there was an old adage that for a rifle scope its good to have one power for every 10 yards you anticipate for most of your shooting .... don't know if that's still in vogue but it has served me well .... we consider our Henry 44 mag and Henry 45-70 to be 100 yard guns so we have mounted 3 - 9 Nikons on them .... that isn't to say they aren't capable at longer ranges, just that is where we are comfortable .... in August when we order a Henry 357 it will fall in the same group and will be topped with a 3 - 9
I use that for offhand shooting as too high of a magnification will often just make you over correct and/or fire premature. But bench shooting I will go much higher.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:34 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
JEBar wrote:many years ago there was an old adage that for a rifle scope its good to have one power for every 10 yards you anticipate for most of your shooting .... don't know if that's still in vogue but it has served me well .... we consider our Henry 44 mag and Henry 45-70 to be 100 yard guns so we have mounted 3 - 9 Nikons on them .... that isn't to say they aren't capable at longer ranges, just that is where we are comfortable .... in August when we order a Henry 357 it will fall in the same group and will be topped with a 3 - 9
I use that for offhand shooting as too high of a magnification will often just make you over correct and/or fire premature. But bench shooting I will go much higher.
now days my offhand shooting is pretty much limited to shooting skeet/trap .... arthritis pretty well necessitates rifle and pistol shooting from a rest
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:30 pm

Getting old isn't for the young at heart.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:46 pm

Sir Henry wrote:Getting old isn't for the young at heart.

you got that right
0 x

Whiskeyshooter
Tenderfoot

Post by Whiskeyshooter » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:58 pm

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:43 pm

OP, some options include getting a front sight with a bead size you like. A peep sight, such as from Skinner is also a really good choice.

As for scopes, the "Goldilocks" just right size for lever guns is usually a 2-7x scope. Leupold makes a good one, their VX-1 2-7x28. Leupold also now owns the Redfield brand, and you can also get a good Redfield 2-7x.

Both the Leupold and Redfield are assembled in America, and have lifetime warrantys. As a bonus, they also look good on lever guns.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:52 pm

ditto1958 wrote:OP, some options include getting a front sight with a bead size you like. A peep sight, such as from Skinner is also a really good choice.

As for scopes, the "Goldilocks" just right size for lever guns is usually a 2-7x scope. Leupold makes a good one, their VX-1 2-7x28. Leupold also now owns the Redfield brand, and you can also get a good Redfield 2-7x.

Both the Leupold and Redfield are assembled in America, and have lifetime warrantys. As a bonus, they also look good on lever guns.
Ditto, the Redfield Revenge series are made in the philippines. I have one and it is a very good scope, BTW.

The Revolutions and above are made by Leupold, I think.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Another option that may look a little funny is a red dot scope. Most are non magnifying. I have a holo red dot on my BB. It really brought group sizes down. If I were buying one specifically for the BB, I would probably look at the round style first. I had the holo on hand, not being used. The round ones are generally cheaper, and probably look better, as well.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya