Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scope on 357 mag carbine reccomendations

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Scope on 357 mag carbine reccomendations

Post by rwortman » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:22 am

I have a handy little Weaver V-series 1-3 on my .44. It is a true 1x at low power so you can shoot with both eyes open at up close stuff. I can still shoot a decent group at 100 yards with it but admit that the higher power scopes on my other rifles are handier at long ranges. I think it is a great choice for this gun. Since I took this pic, I ditched the Henry mount for a Ranger precision rail that is lower. The Henry mount is higher than necessary for the BBS to clear contours on the brass models that the steel ones don't have I can put up a picture later if someone wants to see one.Image
3 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:40 am

Nice. I have a holographic red dot on my .357 BB steel. Clovispup and I both really like it at the range. I am thinking about trying the Bushnell 3-12x I have for hunting this season. The scope would really help out with the longer shots. We have a Nikon 3-9x on our H001 and really like it. I will probably mount the Bushnell on the BB next time I go the range just to see how it works.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Alnamvet68
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Alnamvet68 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:24 pm

Henry88 wrote:
ditto1958 wrote:OP, some options include getting a front sight with a bead size you like. A peep sight, such as from Skinner is also a really good choice.

As for scopes, the "Goldilocks" just right size for lever guns is usually a 2-7x scope. Leupold makes a good one, their VX-1 2-7x28. Leupold also now owns the Redfield brand, and you can also get a good Redfield 2-7x.

Both the Leupold and Redfield are assembled in America, and have lifetime warrantys. As a bonus, they also look good on lever guns.
Ditto, the Redfield Revenge series are made in the philippines. I have one and it is a very good scope, BTW.

The Revolutions and above are made by Leupold, I think.
Redfield no longer offers any optics that are not made in the US. The Redfield line is manufactured and assembled in the same factory alongside the Leupold's.
1 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:24 pm

rwortman wrote:I can put up a picture later if someone wants to see one.Image
Yes...please more pictures. I'm considering buying the Ranger Point mount.... just would like a view of just how low the scope sets on the receiver.
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:46 pm

Here you go. And I just discovered I am missing a cover.

0 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:41 pm

rwortman wrote:Here you go. And I just discovered I am missing a cover.

Thanks......nice setup got there.
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

USMC'69
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by USMC'69 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks for the great photos.. I'm thinking about putting a Leupold VX1 40mm that I have sitting on the shelf on my 357 BB Brass Carbine; what height Scope Rings did you use?
I don't want to install scope rings that are too tall, but want the front optic to clear the barrel. Thanks..
1 x