Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lever Gun Scope Rant

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Lever Gun Scope Rant

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:05 pm

I'm sure it helps zero in on the target but aesthetically it's not for me. I'll stick with the open sights as long as I'm able.... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:56 am

As I've mentioned, before, I really wish I could keep shooting irons and shoot them as well as in my younger days, but my eyes ain't what they used to be and that's just the way it is. I still shoot irons on some guns and I always will, but the only way I can now shoot at my best, day in and day out, is with the help of optics.

Now, for those of you who think putting a scope on a lever gun is "cheating", I invite you try shooting from a standing position/no rest with a scope. Using a scope without a rest is a separate shooting skill all its own. It takes a lot of practice (and constant practice, at that), plus you'll burn up a lot of ammo before you'll be comfortable with those crosshairs doing a hula dance while you squeeze the trigger. You'll get to know your gun's trigger in a way that you never will by just shooting irons. It's a whole new shooting game with that scope from a standing position. Trust me, its a skill you don't learn, overnight.

Rant over. :)
1 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 pm

I've found that shotgun scopes work really well on lever guns.
SAM_6203-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Love those scout mounts and scout rigs on a lever gun. Great setup on that Marlin.
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:55 pm

I've used scopes on big game hunting rifles since I was 19, because I never really shot well (tended to shoot high) with conventional iron sights. That's 56 years of deer hunting; I started at age 12. But I do have a couple of peep sight mounted bolt action carbines, which I can shoot OK, and am really intrigued with the ghost ring style sights that came on my "new old" Henry 30-30. I think that set up will be fine, even for these old eyes, for close range hunting use, particularly on some of our bad weather days when keeping scope lenses clear of snow or ice fog can be tough. I much prefer low powered scopes with 20 mm objective lenses for woods hunting, 1.5 -4X or 1.75-5X work fine for me, and I still have a couple fixed 2.75X. My rant on this subject is the mounting of scopes capable of discerning the rings of Saturn, often with really high mounts required by their 50 mm objective lenses, on light, handy hunting rifles :? .
0 x

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks, North Country Gal! They work on Henrys too. :D
2018-01-23 17.27.15.png
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:I've used scopes on big game hunting rifles since I was 19, because I never really shot well (tended to shoot high) with conventional iron sights. That's 56 years of deer hunting; I started at age 12. But I do have a couple of peep sight mounted bolt action carbines, which I can shoot OK, and am really intrigued with the ghost ring style sights that came on my "new old" Henry 30-30. I think that set up will be fine, even for these old eyes, for close range hunting use, particularly on some of our bad weather days when keeping scope lenses clear of snow or ice fog can be tough. I much prefer low powered scopes with 20 mm objective lenses for woods hunting, 1.5 -4X or 1.75-5X work fine for me, and I still have a couple fixed 2.75X. My rant on this subject is the mounting of scopes capable of discerning the rings of Saturn, often with really high mounts required by their 50 mm objective lenses, on light, handy hunting rifles :? .
I'm with you 100% on the giant scope thing. I especially don't like them on a lever gun. My favorite lever gun scopes are the low power scopes with a straight tube in front or a small bell, the smaller and more compact, the better.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:49 pm

GaHenryFan wrote:Thanks, North Country Gal! They work on Henrys too. :D 2018-01-23 17.27.15.png
They sure do. Looks good on your Henry.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Actually those shotgun scopes look better than some I've seen. More compact looking to me.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:25 pm

RanchRoper wrote:Actually those shotgun scopes look better than some I've seen. More compact looking to me.
Thanks, RanchRoper, they are Simmons Prodiamond 4x shotgun scopes. A really nice scope for the money if you ask me.
2 x