Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lever Gun Scope Rant

.45Steel
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Lever Gun Scope Rant

Post by .45Steel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:50 pm

I don't always use a scope, but when I do...I use my little Bushnell Banner 2.5-4

[img]
20160214_155546.JPG
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
H010G 45-70
H012 .45 Colt
H001TER .22

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:33 pm

.45Steel wrote:I don't always use a scope, but when I do...I use my little Bushnell Banner 2.5-4

[img]20160214_155546.JPG[/img]

I like the looks of your rig .... I bet it shoots well
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:49 pm

Though not a lever gun, it's close in concept and size...this is my .357 Timber Wolf with a Burris Droptine 2-7X 35mm Slug Gun scope. I wouldn't go any bigger.
20171206_183734.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:59 am

Burris made some compact scopes in years past that I'd consider perfect for lever guns, single shots and other compact, light carbines. They're small, light and optically plenty good enough. There was a fixed 4X, a fixed 6X, 2-7X, 3-9X and 4-12X variables. I have the fixed 4X, 3-9X and 4-12X AO, both the 4X and 4-12X AO are unemployed at the moment (I think the 4X will be applying for a job on a Henry .22 soon ;) ) The ones I wish I had are the 2-7X, which would be the most useful for hunting, and the fixed 6X would make a nice .17 HMR scope. One way to compensate for lower magnification when sighting in or trying ammo is to simply shoot at a bigger target. Just another way to see better :) .
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:40 pm

As mentioned in another thread, I highly recommend the new Leupold Freedom 1.5-4x for a nice compact, lightweight scope on a lever gun or small carbine. It's relatively affordable as Leupolds go at under $200. The big advantage of this scope compared to old vintage scopes are the great optics. Also, this Freedom line build dimensions are that trim old school design, not the oversized eyepiece bells and skyscraper tall turrets that are so popular now for their tactical look. Trim dimensions also allow lower scope mounting and that's always a plus on a lever gun.
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:00 am

North Country Gal wrote:As mentioned in another thread, I highly recommend the new Leupold Freedom 1.5-4x for a nice compact, lightweight scope on a lever gun or small carbine. It's relatively affordable as Leupolds go at under $200. The big advantage of this scope compared to old vintage scopes are the great optics. Also, this Freedom line build dimensions are that trim old school design, not the oversized eyepiece bells and skyscraper tall turrets that are so popular now for their tactical look. Trim dimensions also allow lower scope mounting and that's always a plus on a lever gun.
In doing my scope research, I went back through this thread, and I keep going back to "smaller is better" for this .357 BBS, especially when considering that I want to get the scope as low as possible and not have to worry about cheek risers and that kind of stuff (if that's really the right term for it). This 1.5-4X20 looks like it would be great aesthetically with the Henry, but would the Henry one-piece rail/ring set-up that they sell on Henrypride.com give me the lowest possible mounting height, or would I be better off with separate rings and rail approach?

https://henrypride.com/collections/rifl ... 1320460313
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:27 am

The Henry one piece supports scopes with bells up to 50mm when used on the H006 (2nd Gen) and H012. So you might find a ring set that got a 20mm scope lower. About as low as you can go is with a ring set that bolts directly to the top of the receiver without a base rail. Just need to make sure hole spacing of the rings match the Henry. Have you sent Alison an email at HenryPride to ask about the one piece height yet? It's not on their webpage.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Mags wrote:The Henry one piece supports scopes with bells up to 50mm when used on the H006 (2nd Gen) and H012. So you might find a ring set that got a 20mm scope lower. About as low as you can go is with a ring set that bolts directly to the top of the receiver without a base rail. Just need to make sure hole spacing of the rings match the Henry. Have you sent Alison an email at HenryPride to ask about the one piece height yet? It's not on their webpage.
I've been back and forth with Patrick Hall at Henry about the height of the one-piece rail set up, and here was his response:

"The one piece mount will be quite low but the picatinny with a set of low rings will most likely be the same if not slightly lower."

Based on the "most likely be the same if not slightly lower" comment, I went ahead and ordered the one-piece Talley fixture from Henry. It's on the Henry Pride site for $49.99 and Talley sells it direct for $60, so there's that.

Now to figure out the scope part. Having just been to my LGS and looked at and through a couple, there's no doubt that I want to stay away from the 3-9X40 type scopes; just too honkin' big for my taste.

Looked at a Nikon Prostaff Shotgun 2-7X32 that seemed pretty nice and not much money.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:54 pm

ESquared wrote:...I've been back and forth with Patrick Hall at Henry about the height of the one-piece rail set up, and here was his response:
"The one piece mount will be quite low but the picatinny with a set of low rings will most likely be the same if not slightly lower."
Looked at a Nikon Prostaff Shotgun 2-7X32 ....
When you get the one piece measure form the bottom of the rail to the seat of the scope ring, then add 0.5" (for 1 inch scope tube). That gives you your scope height from the top of the Henry. I'm curious what that is.

At the Nikon website, the scope, although not that many reviews total, got mostly 5 star reviews.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Even FURTHER research indicates that Nikon has stopped making this shotgun scope, and scopes come and go all the time, but I'm drawn back to NCG's recommendation on the Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4X20. And she's not the only one here who seems to have adopted one. Pretty good deal at Midway thru tonight, so this may be it! Also found the right Butler Creek covers for the front and back.
Would love to hear from anyone and everyone who has put some rounds through their Henry with this scope!
0 x