Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Weaver scope on my BBB

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Weaver scope on my BBB

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:45 am

Appreciate all the comments and info already given! I have some good direction to get me started...and so early on a Saturday morning, too! ;)

Also might be checking back with some of you....JEBar said that if I've never sighted in a scope "it can go pretty easy or can be frustrating." I'm hoping for the "go pretty easy" route. Thanks, Gentlemen.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:01 am

PT7 wrote:Also might be checking back with some of you....JEBar said that if I've never sighted in a scope "it can go pretty easy or can be frustrating." I'm hoping for the "go pretty easy" route. Thanks, Gentlemen.
if you start out at short range and follow the steps, it will not only be pretty simple, its usually part of the fun
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:40 pm

Sir Henry wrote:That is a good choice for a scope. Here is some info on it. Also you might want to consider the Skinner scope mount. The Picatinny rail looks a little out of place.

http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html
Appreciate the articles on this Weaver scope, Sir Henry. BTW, part of the reason I went for one of these is due to the many pictures you have posted of Weavers. I think that the simple, straight lines are appealing, and look good on a lever-action rifle. In the one article you sent, I liked the explanations/options for the different magnifications. I've searched the web for info on this V4.5 Weaver, but found little. Your articles look like they came from a magazine? Where did you get the info you sent, and is it available in cyberspace?

You also mentioned the Henry picatinny rail. Yes, when I put the Weaver on this base, the set up looks a little like an "Army tank" is underneath the scope. :lol: 'Tis somewhat distracting from the appearance. So I looked at the Skinner lower-style mounts Andy offers. But he lists mounts only for 30-30/45-70 rifles, and not a .357? And that is both for the base that has the Skinner peep, as well as the "TWO PIECE SOLID STEEL SCOPE MOUNTS." Do you know if the listed 30-30/45-70 base would work on a .357 Big Boy, too? If not, I'll get in touch with Andy for his help.

BTW, my knee jerk is to see if the two-piece set up might work. I don't need another peep sight as I have the barrel-mounted peep already on the Big Boy. (There is also quite a difference in cost between these two set ups). Whenever I want to use iron sights, that peep sight I have works great for me, and I shoot quite well with it. Like I said about these "uncharted waters," I just want to learn how to use a scope.

Thanks again for the good comments and info you sent.
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun May 01, 2016 12:40 pm

I love the old Weavers and have a few brochures on them. These are from the late fifties to the late seventies. The 1968 price list has the V4.5 for $55. As a comparison the V22 sold for $14.95 and the C4 sold for $9.75.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Sir Henry, that's a nice collection of Weaver brochures. Today I looked at the current prices for the Classic V-Series on their website http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/rifl ... classic_v/. Definitely much different than what you said the V4.5 sold for in 1968! :o
But that's the way it is with many items today....
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 02, 2016 11:01 am

PT7 wrote:Sir Henry, that's a nice collection of Weaver brochures. Today I looked at the current prices for the Classic V-Series on their website http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/rifl ... classic_v/. Definitely much different than what you said the V4.5 sold for in 1968! :o
But that's the way it is with many items today....
They come in handy when I want info on a specific scope.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater