Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Spare Glass In The Safe?

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Spare Glass In The Safe?

Post by HenryFan » Mon May 13, 2024 5:51 pm

Do any of you folks keep a spare rifle scope or two (or more?) in the gun safe? Do you have more scopes on hand than long-guns on which to mount them?

At present, I have only one spare, a Redfield Revolution 2-7X33 made by Leupold when they owned the Redfield name but on occasion, I have had more. It seems that if I sell a scope, the need to replace it arises soon after the sale.

Even though I have been slowly thinning the herd, I have held on to a few of the better scopes. Future availability also figures into this as well.
Last edited by HenryFan on Mon May 13, 2024 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Spare Glass In The Sage?

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 13, 2024 5:57 pm

I have extra scoped but they are vintage El Paso Weavers. What I need is more Nikons and Leupolds.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Spare Glass In The Sage?

Post by North Country Gal » Mon May 13, 2024 6:20 pm

I have extra scopes and even more extra red dots. This is because I use optics so much. It's also because I acquire so many barrels for the Contenders and Encores and each barrel, of course, gets a new optic. I am always in the market for another scope, so I check for used scopes in gun shops and gun shows.
1 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Spare Glass In The Safe?

Post by HenryFan » Mon May 13, 2024 6:30 pm

North Country Gal -

I too keep an eye out for scopes at gun shows and gun shops but it has been my experience that those offered for sale, particularly at gun shows, are low-end chinese junk, usually beat half to death.

I have been a long-time member of Rimfire Central and the RFC Classifieds usually list the most quality glass for sale compared to other forums. I have done numerous purchases and sales and so far, I haven't been snakebit yet. Not to say there are no scammers on RFC just like other forums.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon May 13, 2024 10:01 pm

No spares. All paired with and mounted on a rifle.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon May 13, 2024 11:50 pm

HenryFan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 6:30 pm
North Country Gal -

I too keep an eye out for scopes at gun shows and gun shops but it has been my experience that those offered for sale, particularly at gun shows, are low-end chinese junk, usually beat half to death.

I have been a long-time member of Rimfire Central and the RFC Classifieds usually list the most quality glass for sale compared to other forums. I have done numerous purchases and sales and so far, I haven't been snakebit yet. Not to say there are no scammers on RFC just like other forums.
Mostly I look for handgun scopes at gun shows. Those tend to get overlooked, so I sometimes get some good ones. I do better at gun shops for used riflescopes, though. Shops tend to get less traffic and a lot of their customers are younger these days and those shooters are more interested in tactical stuff.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue May 14, 2024 9:24 am

Every time I have a spare scope in the safe I sell it and every time I sell one I then need it later. Will I ever learn? :roll:
1 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Tue May 14, 2024 10:49 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 9:24 am
Every time I have a spare scope in the safe I sell it and every time I sell one I then need it later.
Will I ever learn? :roll:
It has taken me many years to realize that spare glass in the safe may prevent searching and buying more glass in the future.

Also, I have sold off scopes no longer available.

Old too soon, smart too late.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:07 pm

I will admit to having a problem with not being able to pass on old gloss finish scopes when they are really nice ones and are known to be from reliable manufacturers. I have sold off many and still have a shelf full of nice old scopes no longer made. Five Leupold M8 4X two with fine cross hair and 3 with Duplex, one Weaver 4x Marksman steel tube fine cross hair, one Nikon 4x32 Pro Staff fine plex that is a compact made in the Philippines, one 4x32 Swift made in Korea, one Tasco 4x32 (Japan) one 4x40 Tasco (Japan) One Tasco 6x32 (Japan) made in early to mid 70"s.
One Vistascope 4x32 fine plex made in Japan and I believe they were imported by a company maybe in Florida. Not sure about that. I think I have 4 or 5 of my 22's that still have M-8 Leupolds on them right now. Love the older gloss Leupold's.
0 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Tue May 14, 2024 1:44 pm

Are any scopes still made in Korea? Seems like the lower end glass is all chinese these days.

I seem to recall that Korean optics were known to be decent products back when they were common.
0 x