Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Goodies from Skinner

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Goodies from Skinner

Post by roddy » Fri May 15, 2020 4:50 pm

I got a package in the mail this week, with a couple of things in it I've been wanting to try out...

A LowPro II, made for the Browning SA-22.
Browning's BL-22 lever .22 uses the same odd dovetail cut, so I'm hoping it will help me there. I really like the little BL, but struggle with the sights on mine.

20200512_124417.jpg

A 'Bear Buster' front sight for use on an AMT 25/22 project I've been wanting to start.

20200512_124445.jpg

When I find the time to install them, I'll cover that in my 'another one on the table' thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Goodies from Skinner

Post by Sir Henry » Sat May 16, 2020 10:41 am

We will be wanting a range report. I shoot best with peeps too.

Tell us more about the bear buster.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: Goodies from Skinner

Post by roddy » Sat May 16, 2020 1:58 pm

I wondered if a peep mounted that far ahead would be of much use, but it's got to be better than the standard flip-up sight that's there now. Ang's close up vision is better than mine, and she's kicking my butt on the duelling tree...

This 'bear buster' front sight (single screw model) is intended for the later Marlin lever guns with the shorter spacing between the mounting holes. I believe the height is .550".
I have an AMT 25/22 that wouldn't shoot well when I brought it home, and it took me a while to figure out its issue. At some time in its life, the barrel had been drilled for Williams front and rear sights. The front sight was on a ramp that required 2 mounting holes, and the forward hole was drilled a hair (literally) too deep. This created a very small 'wart' on the inside of the barrel, right between 2 grooves...discovered it quite by accident.
A local 'Smith did a cut-and-crown for me, just behind the offending screw. I've had a scope on it since, but would like to give it another try with irons. This front sight will allow me to do that without drilling any more holes.
2 x