Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rear and Front Sight Drift Tool

Cooper
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Rear and Front Sight Drift Tool

Post by Cooper » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am

Other than the Williams #1953 front sight tool (which is out of stock everywhere and Williams will not start production for six months), are there any tools available that can drift the front and/or rear dovetail sights? I have a .45-7- single shot, H015, that shoots to the left of center with the rear sight moved all the way over. I have tried to tap the sight with a punch and it doesn't budge. I would like to use a clamp type tool that would move the sight in small increments instead of using a bigger hammer.

Thanks!

Cooper
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Rear and Front Sight Drift Tool

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:38 pm

I'm not much help. Others should be along shortly with their ideas.
Anyway, welcome to the forum from the TV, Oregon.
Cooper wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am
Other than the Williams #1953 front sight tool (which is out of stock everywhere and Williams will not start production for six months), are there any tools available that can drift the front and/or rear dovetail sights? I have a .45-7- single shot, H015, that shoots to the left of center with the rear sight moved all the way over. I have tried to tap the sight with a punch and it doesn't budge. I would like to use a clamp type tool that would move the sight in small increments instead of using a bigger hammer.

Thanks!

Cooper
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:46 pm

A 6" section of 1/2" UHMW rod works well.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:52 pm

Most require drifting from left to right, looking down the barrel from the receiver.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Most require drifting from left to right, looking down the barrel from the receiver.
This is correct - to remove them that is.

Front sights are intended to tighten as they move from the right TO the left and then ultimately centered.

If the gun is shooting to the left as you describe with the sight moved all the way over - and I assume you mean all the way to the right - then it has other problems that will not be corrected by moving the front sight.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:46 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT. Glad you joined us.

I hope you get an answer soon, but it does sound like there is something else wrong. Having the rear sight moved all the way to the right, but it still shoots to the left of the target is troubling. Let us know how you make out.
Cooper wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am

Thanks!

Cooper
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Cooper
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Cooper » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Thanks everyone who responded. Since the screw will not move the windage any further to the right to permit the bullet to hit the bulls-eye, I need to drift the sight to the right to get the zero. Like I have mentioned, I have tried brass punches on the rear sight. While doing so, I had the barrel in a vise and removed from the receiver. It appears the sight's dovetail is too tight and I do not want to pound with a huge hammer and ding the barrel. Which is why I was hoping to find a drifting tool.

I know that the preferred sight to move is the rear sight, but since the rear would not move I was thinking of moving the front sight, it appears to be a bit off center anyway, which could be the root of my problem. But it would not move either by tapping with the punch and barrel in the vise. There are plenty of choices for pistol sight drifting tools, but they will not work with a rifle.

So...any new suggestions are welcome. I will take the rifle to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

Cooper
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Let us know how it shoots and what you decide to do. FWIW, I bought a Henry SGC and had to send it back for repair. Neither I, or my local gunsmith could get the front dovetail to move without potential damage...I feel your pain!

Oh...by the way, welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 pm

If, after your next time at the range, it is still not shooting properly, please telephone (faster than email) HRA Customer Service (http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 127#p70193) and explain the problem and how you've tried to remedy it. I have to say, not many have actually removed the barrel from the receiver to adjust its sighting.
Cooper wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:13 pm
I will take the rifle to the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:33 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:24 pm
If, after your next time at the range, it is still not shooting properly, please telephone (faster than email) HRA Customer Service (http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 127#p70193) and explain the problem and how you've tried to remedy it. I have to say, not many have actually removed the barrel from the receiver to adjust its sighting.
Yes, seems a bit extreme!
Don't know exactly what Henry did with my SGC. The ticket merely said, replaced front sight.
Could tell it was the original barrel though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry