Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner peep project

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Skinner peep project

Post by Cofisher » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:38 pm

PT7 made me do this. I have put up piecemeal shots and descriptions of my efforts. He wanted the full story.

I wanted the smallest effective sight system. Mounting on the Steel Carbine 357. I bought the Low Pro and put it into the rearmost scope mount screw hole. After some fiddling, height adjustments, I did not care for the install. It sat up too high for me.

I proceed to cut the peep stem to lower the sight. This also meant I had to lower the bead front. Bring out the files. I completely removed the bead. Leaving a nice post. This allowed me to bottom out the Low Pro, using its lock ring.

The result was pleasing to me in that it hugged the receiver tightly. And, I was able to achieve satisfactory results on target.

And...I bought a scope. Time to start over. I did the research on the lowest profile rail and rings. I got the 63B rail. It required elongating a mount hole. No problem. A couple qd rings, and we were shooting again. Was able to hold a 5" group at 100 yds. Ok.

But, I did not care for the close work with the scope. And there was always the risk of losing zero with the scope.

So, as you can see from the pics, I got creative. I removed the lock nut from the peep. And used it as the rearmost rail screw. Drawing on my never ending luck, blessings, the peep bottoms out in the rail groove facing forward perfectly.

And, magically, lines up with the modified front post perfectly. Go figure.

So, now I can drop my scope on, or my new red dot, or use iron sights. Which, by the way came in handy last dear season. After a couple missed shots on coyotes I pulled the scope and dropped a dear. And a dog with the peep. Awesome!
IMG_0345.JPG
IMG_0340.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.