Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trying something new

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Trying something new

Post by Mistered » Mon May 27, 2019 5:35 pm

Well, I am no stranger to swapping and trying different sights and I have been wanting to shoot my 1899 Winchester more but it's original Buckhorn coupled with the original front (a typical 'old style' tapered blade) is a terrible combination which gives poor definition.
I got to thinking today about the recent swap on my Marlin 39 and the front bead I took off of it.
I matched it with the original on the WInchester and the height was dang near the same so I installed it on the WInchester and well, now I have a defined bead which gives me a much better sight picture with the stock rear buckhorn so I think I now have something I can shoot it with!
IMG_1471[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Trying something new

Post by North Country Gal » Mon May 27, 2019 8:04 pm

The proof will be in the shooting. Let us know how to works for you.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Mon May 27, 2019 9:07 pm

Looks good and I hope it works well for you.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon May 27, 2019 10:29 pm

Hope it works for you.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon May 27, 2019 11:32 pm

Make the pine cones dance.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:13 pm

Well, not the best report as it appears the sight off my Marlin is too short for the Winchester.
Got set up and took a shot (on stacked towels off the hood of the 4Runner) and looked at the target through binos and I wasn't on paper. I knew immediately I had probably shot high so I dropped the rear all the way to the bottom (It was at halfway to start) and took a shot. Well I hit paper this time (one in the circled area) and a 2nd to confirm almost touched it - problem is I was aiming at 6:00 at the bottom of the target dot!
So I'll need a taller front sight it appears. Too bad because the Marlin sight gave a nice sight picture with the Buckhorn - And it was free!
Messed around with a few more shots and picked out some off hand targets at about 100 yards on the hillside and managed a couple hits by compensating but a taller sight is needed!
Oh, BTW - We are officially 'On the Map' now - we have a new sign! See my new avatar!
IMG_1477.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:11 pm

Well, one Winchester had to give up it's front sight for another!
This one ought to work perfectly!
It was a little loose in the dovetail so I took the 'easy' route and centered it and put a drop of superglue on each side of the sight base and lightly tapped it to get the glue to flow into the dovetail - keep this in mind - snugs a loose sight right up.
IMG_1479.JPG
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:15 pm

Looks like you've got it figured out!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:18 pm

Looks like you've got it figured out!
Well, poor 'ol 'Buffalo Bill' had to give up its front sight for a rifle that was around when HE was alive - kind of ironic actually.
Heck i may have to go shooting again tomorrow!
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:43 pm

Well back to the woods this morning with better results.
My first shot was very low (which I expected) so I raised the sight and after 'floundering' around with too many rounds (and a difficult to adjust rear sight) I managed to 'walk' the rounds down and get in the orange.
A final tap over of the rear sight and aiming dead center put the round at the center top of the orange. The next I aimed at 6:00 and put one nearly dead center.
I was also dealing with side lighting as I headed out earlier than normal to beat the heat and my range faces NE and I was dealing with the sun off to my right and partially obscured by trees so I got off paper and turned to the North and concentrated on some 100 +/- yard informal targets and was able to send pine cones flying.
I might finally have a sight system I can now shoot this rifle with!
IMG_1480.JPG
1 x