Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Result and some advice Skinner on Henry Big Boy 44mag AW

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Result and some advice Skinner on Henry Big Boy 44mag AW

Post by ruhler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:56 am

Hi
Just want to write my result with changing to skinner sight on the receiver on my Henry big boy Allweather 44magnum. I know there is many questions about the height of the front sight you need, and I also wasnt sure I just had to try it out (ordered sights not needed but maybe they come to use as spare in the future) maybe this will help someone else. My stock front sight is .496 height, I always aim a bit below the POI at 25meters the hit is about 5" higher and it worked perfect with the skinner express sight. I saw that directly when I mounted the sight it was perfect alined with the buckhornsight so thats a tip let the buckhorn with your setting be on when you mount the skinner sight, that way you will notice if you need to adjust the height of the frontsight (depending how you aim). I could even keep the stock buckhorn sight on, I just lowered it to the bottom and set the "fineadjustment" as low as it could so I aim between the buckhorns, I see a little of them at the edges with a standard apeture size. If needed I have the buckhorn sight as a spare sight. I always shoot with both my eyes open and it was a relief that the focus on the frontsight was so much better than the buckhorn sight. Im really impressed.

A tip, you do not need a expensive brasspunch unless you want it ;)
On my Henry I have had some windage adjustment on the front sight from factory since I want the rear sight to be as centered as possible for the looks didnt need a expensive brass punch to drift it. I just used my normal punches from the garage with a 22lr case on the tip, with a normal hammer worked out great. When adjusting windage on the front sight think "chase the bullet" if the hits are to the left drift the sight to the left standing behind the rifle with muzzle aiming down the range.

With these pistolcalibers load can make a big differense in POI/POA so I this is what I used for my results. I shoot 44magnum 265grain homecast RNFP ranchdog bullet sized to .432 brinell@14 hardness with gaschecks muzzle velocity @1500fps.
4 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Result and some advice Skinner on Henry Big Boy 44mag AW

Post by Cofisher » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:37 pm

Good report, thanks. I like the way you determined to keep the buckhorn on the rifle. A backup sight is often useful. I ended up using my Skinner peep when my scope was out of alignment.

Let us know how your set up works at longer distances.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 pm

I don't know how expensive brass punches get, but I got this from Midway a few years ago, and it's been fantastic. Can't beat it (IMO) for $16.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/41151 ... -punch-set
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Good report, thanks. I like the way you determined to keep the buckhorn on the rifle. A backup sight is often useful. I ended up using my Skinner peep when my scope was out of alignment.

Let us know how your set up works at longer distances.
Thanks will keep you posted on the longer distance result, its alot of snow now so it will take until may before the snow is gone. But think it will be alright, with buckhorn I had same type of poa/poi and it was no problem at 100meters.

ESquared wrote:I don't know how expensive brass punches get, but I got this from Midway a few years ago, and it's been fantastic. Can't beat it (IMO) for $16.

Thats very resonable price, just saying its not needed to buy a brass punch Henry has a fancy "Henry gunsight kit" looking good though. I even have used a 30.06 brass as a punch at the range on another gun, not trying to be cheap but I use what I have around without needing to buy more stuff but good punches is a useful tool to have at home. :)
4 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 pm

I have limited space for yet 'more' tools. So although the price I agree is inexpensive, I prefer using a spent brass case with punches I already have. That's just me though. Thanks for finding and sharing so others can benefit.
ESquared wrote:I don't know how expensive brass punches get, but I got this from Midway a few years ago, and it's been fantastic. Can't beat it (IMO) for $16.

Last edited by Mags on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Mags wrote:.
I have limited space for yet 'more' tools. So although the price I agree is inexpensive, I prefer using a spent brass case with punches I already have. That's just me though. Thanks for finding and sharing so other can benefit.
Yeah, I was "punchless" when I went searching, so this one fit the bill.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

lovesleverguns
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by lovesleverguns » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks for the post! I've ordered a Skinner Express for my BBS .357 carbine.
0 x