Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lyman Globe/Skinner on the Carbine Barrel?

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Lyman Globe/Skinner on the Carbine Barrel?

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 pm

This is all very good to read. As I'll be getting my Henry .45 with the 20" round barrel, improved sights are being considered.
The LoPro and the Lyman .404" front would seem to work. If another is suggested, I'm all eyes. Excellent thread.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm

For what it's worth, here's a pic of my BBS with the brass LoPro and the Lyman Globe, along with a fine-pointed Shaver insert (which is another variable we haven't covered yet). The Shaver inserts are much more finely detailed and you get about 10 to the card, as I recall. The target is not very distant (only 100 feet), but I was brand new at all this back in July. That set-up should work well for you. Keep us posted and thanks again to TractorTad on behalf of Tom and me - appreciate the wisdom!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Evan, that looks good, darn good. Agreed, tractortad knows the iron sight set-up well. The wood on his .44 is really something. Those Shaver inserts just fit right in the Lyman Globe, easy-peasy? Liking those.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:01 pm

Rifletom wrote:Evan, that looks good, darn good. Agreed, tractortad knows the iron sight set-up well. The wood on his .44 is really something. Those Shaver inserts just fit right in the Lyman Globe, easy-peasy? Liking those.
Tom,
Yes, the Shaver inserts are machined for the Lyman globes. No difference in terms of fit. Here's a link:

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/ ... ert-cards/

And, YES, Tad's .44 is a beautiful specimen. I remember seeing it for the first time when I was new here and going "WOW!", but seeing it again in this thread triggers (so to speak) the same reaction. Great looking gun and just a great photo!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:36 pm

ESquared wrote:I can vouch for the LowPro. Very simple to install and adjust. Completely different 'look' than the Express, so that boils down to personal preference and/or cost. I went with the LoPro as it was my first Skinner and just wanted to make sure it worked for me (and it did). My next will probably be the Express.
Can you adjust for windage with the LoPro?
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 pm

deano5150 wrote:
ESquared wrote:I can vouch for the LowPro. Very simple to install and adjust. Completely different 'look' than the Express, so that boils down to personal preference and/or cost. I went with the LoPro as it was my first Skinner and just wanted to make sure it worked for me (and it did). My next will probably be the Express.
Can you adjust for windage with the LoPro?
No, it's just a threaded stake in the receiver. No windage adjustment.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:04 pm

tractortad wrote:We have a BBB44Mag carbine with a Skinner Express rear and a .494" Lyman Globe on the front - this setup is probably the best guess/starting point for a 45Colt...

Henry BigBoy Brass 44Mag Carbine.JPG
Wanted to follow up on this thread, as I took Tad's advice, ordered the .494" front sight and set out for the range today with 250 gr Missouri Bullet's "Hy-Tek" coated projectiles and 8.0 and 9.0 grain loads of Unique, just to see how it sighted in. I used the Shaver insert pictured.

I started at 25 yds, moved to 50, back to 30 yds, switched loads, and all I could get was the darn thing printing high. This is the last target, 10 rounds w/ 9.0 gr of Unique. As noted, these were all @ 30 yds, and, except for the first two rounds, which appear at the top of the target, these are all basically at a 6:00 hold.

The Skinner rear sight is as low as it will go - it bottoms out against its receiver, so that's not an option.

I guess the basic question is: Is this okay for such short distances with this rifle/ammo? I guess my goal would be to be dead-on at 100 yds, but I can't see that bullet dropping that far between 30 and 100 yds out. But, this is my first experience with this caliber.

I could always try a different insert (which is on tomorrow's to-do list with PT7 at a nearby outdoor range) and get to 100 yds to see what happens, but my fear is that I'm just going to need a taller front sight.

Thoughts? Advice?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:31 pm

According to this online ballistics calculator, that bullet is rising by about 3" at 50 yds, so I may not be all that far off. The site didn't have Missouri Bullets, so I just input Winchester 250 gr Lead Flat Nose, at initial muzzle velocity of 1,150 fps, which is likely very close.

http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Sorry, folks, maybe I should have done some research before posting, but I've found another ballistics sight that indicates similar data for a 250 gr 45 Colt bullet, i.e.- it's at about +4.5" at 50 yds, so maybe I'm not all that far off...

Would still like your input, though. I'm new at this..
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:15 pm

Evan, I got your PM and looked at the target. I'm not sure as to a answer yet. I still need to get to the range again and see if I want to change sights. I'm not much help right, sorry. But, I know we'll have this dialed in pretty soon. Raining steadily right now, so, into the garage for some loading.
0 x