Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Love the BuckHorn

PureBloodTexan
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Love the BuckHorn

Post by PureBloodTexan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:37 pm

First post don't judge me to hard.

I just bought a new case hardened BB in 357 mag this past week. I was a little sceptical of the buckhorn sites on it until this afternoon. I am in love with this site. I got the gun sighted in and set a box out at 50 yards. The three in the top left were 158 SJHP 357. The top right were 158 LHP 38 special +P. The four in the center were the 357s at 100 yards. This is where I fell in love with the buck horn. The way the site is set up makes it easy for hold over. The "site picture" (field of view) using the top of the buck horn at longer distance helps me to keep track of the target. I have read a lot of hate speech for the buck horn but still am not sure why. The only complaint I have is the front bead is alittle hard to see at times but this is not a hard fix.

( Don't judge my choice of targets lol)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
CCH 357

That which doesn't kill me should run.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Love the BuckHorn

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Well done and welcome from one open sights guy to another. Nice rifle. Targets look ok to me for sure.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Welcome! Open sites, all day, all the way!! :)
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:07 pm

Great first post, PBTexan!
Glad you joined.
KCMO.jpg
I also like your first Range Report, and especially your appreciation of the Henry buckhorn sight. That doesn't happen very often....many folk have found the buckhorn hard to use, and opt to change it out pretty quickly. I'm one of those.

But your POIs sure show how well a fellow can shoot with that stock iron sight. Good job!
BTW, your choice of targets is immensely better than some of the homemade ones I've used.
All part of the fun! ;)

PT7
PureBloodTexan wrote:First post don't judge me to hard.

I just bought a new case hardened BB in 357 mag this past week. I was a little sceptical of the buckhorn sites on it until this afternoon. I am in love with this site. I got the gun sighted in and set a box out at 50 yards. The three in the top left were 158 SJHP 357. The top right were 158 LHP 38 special +P. The four in the center were the 357s at 100 yards. This is where I fell in love with the buck horn. The way the site is set up makes it easy for hold over. The "site picture" (field of view) using the top of the buck horn at longer distance helps me to keep track of the target. I have read a lot of hate speech for the buck horn but still am not sure why. The only complaint I have is the front bead is alittle hard to see at times but this is not a hard fix.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:11 pm

well done and welcome indeed .... beautiful rifle, I really like the Color Case Hardened finish .... understood on the Buckhorn rear sight .... a large number of folks here prefer a peep sight and have very good results .... for open sights, I prefer a Buckhorn .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add yours to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 200#p79200
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:17 pm

Hello and Welcome aboard
Nice shootin.
Like the CC also.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

PureBloodTexan
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by PureBloodTexan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Thank y'all.
0 x
CCH 357

That which doesn't kill me should run.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:35 pm

what part of Texas do you call home .... we spend our winters in our camper in Texas .... we are due to leave home in NC on Jan 4th and arrive at Lake Conroe on the 7th .... from there we will spend time at Medina Lake and on the Colorado River near Columbus .... some of the folks from this forum try to get together and shoot at a couple of different local ranges
0 x

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Wow! Excellent shooting! You can’t ask for better than that!
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:30 pm

Never to be judged hard here. I think most of us who have no use for buck horn have had our eyes go kaput with age. Amazon boxes are plentiful and make good targets!
PureBloodTexan wrote:First post don't judge me to hard.

... This is where I fell in love with the buck horn. The way the site is set up makes it easy for hold over. The "site picture" (field of view) using the top of the buck horn at longer distance helps me to keep track of the target. I have read a lot of hate speech for the buck horn but still am not sure why. The only complaint I have is the front bead is alittle hard to see at times but this is not a hard fix.

2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234