Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

stock semi buckhorn

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

stock semi buckhorn

Post by markiver54 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:12 am

I've had my new HBB steel 357, 20" for about two months now and love it, however. Have put several rounds through it, I was displeased that the white diamond inlay under the lower notch is way off center to the notch. Henry sent me a new one. Same problem. Henry cust. service is the best. Don't know if anyone else has seen this, but it bothers me. Been shooting since I was 12, trained then by NRA instructors and I always use the lollypop or 6 o'clock picture. Therefore, my eyes train toward that center. This is part of why I'm putting an optic on.Has anyone else had this experience? If the white diamond is to be ignored, then why even put it on there??
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: stock semi buckhorn

Post by Henry88 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:53 am

that is just crazy :?
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:08 am

One thing Ive done Mark is take that piece out and turn it over face the diamond forward. Then Im not focusing on that only the notch.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks guys. Gonna scope it anyway because of tired eyes. Just thought it was odd compared to the quality of the rest of the rifle. Good suggestion though BigAl. Will definitely do that if I ever go back to iron.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:47 am

The buckhorn sights on these guns are the only thing I can fault on them. Why they put so much effort into everything else, and then stick on those crappy rear sights is beyond me. You could try a barrel mounted Skinner peep before going to a scope if you want to keep the rifle clean and simple? They are quite inexpensive and work well with older eyes.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:34 am

Not hard to understand why Henry and other lever guns use buckhorn sights. After all, the buckhorn is a very traditional sight for a lever gun. Then, too, with some very notable exceptions, iron sights provided with a gun are cheap for the manufacturer to include and that includes most factory buckhorns.

If this sounds like I am bashing buckhorn sights, I'm not. Actually, I have a lot of respect for them. They were a very effective sight, back in their day, when snap shooting and shooting at moving targets was much more common. Also, that horn can be used for some long distance hold over work if you know how to do it. The small notch/bead front combo works well for me - when I have good light and my eyes are co-operating. Unfortunately, that's not often, these days.
2 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:25 am

I agree that they “work”, but I don’t think they are up to the standard set by the rest of the product.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:39 am

Why they put so much effort into everything else, and then stick on those crappy rear sights
Probably a few reasons:
They don't expect the rifle to be shot much.
If it does get shot much the owner will or has already changed out the sights due to experience with better sights.
It seems Henry rifles appeal to new, inexperienced or 'neyophyte' shooters who probably are not aware of Better sighting systems and just struggle with the stock ones.
I have definately seen Better stock buckhorns on other rifles but they were higher priced as well.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:37 am

No argument from me that a good rifle deserves good sights, especially these days, since a good useable set of open sights wouldn't cost much to include with the rifle, right out of the box.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:36 am

So what defines a good usable set of open sights? In keeping a Henry traditional what is there to improve in the design of a buckhorn sight?
North Country Gal wrote:No argument from me that a good rifle deserves good sights, especially these days, since a good usable set of open sights wouldn't cost much to include with the rifle, right out of the box.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234