Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fiber Optic Front Sight

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Fiber Optic Front Sight

Post by Mistered » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 am

Anyone use a fiber optic front sight?
If so ya like it? Hate it? What rear are you using it with?
All reviews & opinions appreciated!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Fiber Optic Front Sight

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:18 am

For hunting or any low light shooting, I think fiber optic front sights are great. They really do make that front sight more visible in low light. I don't like them for my target work, though. Much prefer the shop out line of a blade with no distraction of a fiber optic element. Personal preference, though.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:02 am

My public defender has it. When shooting the defender, it's close in and I don't really use the sights.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:58 pm

When I got my first William's receiver sight, for a 336, it came with fiber optic front sights.
The line for the silhouette swingers is open and in the sun. The sights were a help.

The main firing line is covered and in that situation they are no different than regular sights.

For a while I seemed to hit the range only on cloudy days and the fiber optics didn't help them either.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:14 pm

Yea I kind of got on this fiber optic ‘kick’ when I looked at a friends pistol the other day with a set. I am planning on a new set of sights for my 1911 and got to thinking about going to a set for it and discovered Williams makes handgun sights and has what looks like a fairly decent set - at about 1/3 the cost of LPAs - so I might do this.
Then I got to looking at fiber optic front sights for rifles and thought one MIGHT work well with my receiver rear sight. I might have to find some of the ‘replacement’ fiber optic rods (hopefully cheap) and maybe superglue one on to the top of the front blade on my Henry as a ‘mock up’ and see what it looks like - and maybe get a few test shots off before it breaks off.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:32 pm

The only experience I have with the fiber is my H001(HiViz) with original buckhorn rear. I didn't like them at first, and still feel like the tube is too big, but after getting used to it, I am shooting better.

Below, is a 3x3 target shot at 30 yds resting on a towel. Not NCG or RR stuff, but this is ME shooting open sights. i couldn't shoot that well with the original FAT blade, so they are staying for now. BTW, that dirt stain up high is just that. The floater is high just out of the black for 10 shots.
Also no Kentucky windage here, the sights are centered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:43 pm

I have fiber optic sights on a few of my guns. I like them on the front, especially with a buckhorn or semi buckhorn rear...I find I can aim much more quickly than I can with a bead front, without having to resort to a pair of 'cheater' glasses. With a peep sight on the rear, it is not as big of a difference. They look out of place on a lever gun, though.

I have used TruGlo, Hi-Viz, and Williams. I find the Williams front "Firesights" to be the smallest diameter, and often the brightest as well. Hi-Viz usually includes red and green fiber optic replacement inserts, as well as a plain white one for the front when you buy a set.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:45 pm

I like fiber optic sights myself. But like NCG said they take some getting use to and are a personal thing. I think they are like red dot for me. I find it easy to focus on the fiber optic sight and forget the target. That usually causes one to miss.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:36 pm

0 x

~Пока~

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:33 am

My Mossberg turkey gun has front and rear fibre optic sights. Two red dots in the rear, and on green up front. I love them. Super fast target acquisition in any light. Rangerpoint Precision has their cloverleaf peep sight with f/o dots in it as an option.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF