Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinners new express with scopemount for big boy

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Skinners new express with scopemount for big boy

Post by ruhler » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:54 am

Anyone seen/used these new peepsight/scopemount "rail" for Henry Bigboy Steel? Seems like it uses rimfire rings warne och talley, dont know if they can be used as QD rings?

scroll down on: https://www.facebook.com/GUNSIGHTS/

https://www.facebook.com/GUNSIGHTS/vide ... 279156064/
"Skinner Sights now offers the Skinner EXPRESS scope mount with integral peep sight for the Henry BIG BOY Steel and All Weather and the Marlin 1894. Available in Blue Steel, Stainless Steel, Solid Brass, and in our Famous BLACK GOLD"

Im thinking about getting peepsight on my Henry Big Boy allweather 44mag, and dont have any plan atm to mount a scope but who knows in the future? Next question is the material, blued or stainless? So figured maybe this is a "all in one solution". Anyway I probably need to replace my frontsight post from .500 to atleast .570 or even .650 partridge sight and then file some off. I always aim 6oclock so dont know how high the hits will be with original front sight.
Last edited by ruhler on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Re: Skinners new peepsight with scopemount for big boy

Post by Redthies » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:29 pm

I guess it pays to look at FB... I might have gone that route for future options, but I’m really trying to not put a scope on this rifle.

I just installed the standard Big Boy Express on my .357 last nigh, and looking down the side of it I think I’ll just install the tall Patridge I ordered too. I was going to try it with the factory sight, but I really don’t think it will work. Looks to be way too high. In all honesty, I think the Skinner front sight is better looking too. I’ll bring my file and paint pen along when I head out to shoot it for the first time just in case.
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Re: Skinners new peepsight with scopemount for big boy

Post by ruhler » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:09 pm

Redthies wrote:I guess it pays to look at FB... I might have gone that route for future options, but I’m really trying to not put a scope on this rifle.

I just installed the standard Big Boy Express on my .357 last nigh, and looking down the side of it I think I’ll just install the tall Patridge I ordered too. I was going to try it with the factory sight, but I really don’t think it will work. Looks to be way too high. In all honesty, I think the Skinner front sight is better looking too. I’ll bring my file and paint pen along when I head out to shoot it for the first time just in case.
I talked to Andy about 6months ago asking for a skinner peepsight with QD scopemount for Henry Big boy and he told me that they where working on it and told me to check facebook for updates and I havent until now and it seems like its been around since august. My Henry is my small/mediumgame rugged rifle I use while foresting/walking in the woods/bush its really handy to bring. I have other rifles with scopes and I really dont want a scope on my Henry, but hopefully my eyes will be sharp many years more so I dont need to scope it but if I do it may be a good idea to be able to without buying a new sight. Dont know yet what to buy a normal skinner express looks better, but cant decide on the stainless or blued version, I think blued will look the best matching the hardchrome and dark gunstock.

But a question about your front sight is it .650 height?, with that mounted do you belive that you can leave the stock buckhorn sights on but lowered to minium?
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Re: Skinners new express with scopemount for big boy

Post by Redthies » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:19 pm

I did get the .650, but removed the buckhorn, and since it doesn’t fold, I think it would be too high. I want mine as clean and snag free as possible. I plan to use mine as my primary deer rifle when I’m in tighter brush. Our coastal forests are very very dense, with a 50 meter shot (that’s about 55 yards) being as far as you’d often get, and since I bought a .357 I will keep it to about that distance with maybe 75 yards as a maximum. I have a scoped 7-08 Ruger bolt action for more open country, but I try to limit my shots to 200 yards.

I will add that I far prefer the look of the carbine with Skinners Patridge sight. My stock Henry front was marked 56B on the bottom so I presume it is a .560 tall sight. I will confirm that with them on Tuesday when I call to give them heck for making me wait three weeks for the correct factory sight for my Small Game Carbine, which finally arrived and was the exact same incorrect one as it already had.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Thevolkp
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Thevolkp » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:17 pm

I haven't tried it yet on the range but I just put a brass Partridge .600 on my bbb .44. After all I read on this site, I am hoping that it will work.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:27 pm

please go and let us know how it worked.
Thevolkp wrote:I haven't tried it yet on the range but I just put a brass Partridge .600 on my bbb .44. After all I read on this site, I am hoping that it will work.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

jdm2691
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jdm2691 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:30 pm

I apologize if this has already been answered, but I sure can't find it. Does anyone know the actual height of the stock front sight # 56B? The poster above presumed .560 but I was under the impression the factory sight was.500

Thanks!
0 x