Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Ranger Point CloverLeaf Peep Sight?

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Ranger Point CloverLeaf Peep Sight?

Post by ESquared » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:08 pm

There have been quite a few posts about Ranger Point's dovetail fillers, which look very nice, but a search here pulled up nothing about their CloverLeaf peep sight, so I'm just seeing if anyone has any experience with them?

In the attached link, there's a review from one of the blogs, where the writer tests one out with a Henry 45-70. No issues, apparently, with using the standard front bead sight, and he claims good results out to 300 yards (!), which I sort of take with a grain of salt, but...

Anyway, just checking: anybody ever bought/used one of these?

http://www.rangerpointstore.com/cloverl ... stainless/
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Ranger Point CloverLeaf Peep Sight?

Post by Mistered » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:29 pm

I REALLY like the looks of this one and may try one on my 1899 Winchester.
http://www.rangerpointstore.com/peep-si ... er-savage/
Yea, I know, kind of adding something sort of 'modern' on a classic but it's not like I am scoping or putting a red dot on it. My only options are a better buckhorn or a tang sight as it NOT D & T for a Williams receiver sight.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Mistered wrote:I REALLY like the looks of this one and may try one on my 1899 Winchester.
http://www.rangerpointstore.com/peep-si ... er-savage/
Yea, I know, kind of adding something sort of 'modern' on a classic but it's not like I am scoping or putting a red dot on it. My only options are a better buckhorn or a tang sight as it NOT D & T for a Williams receiver sight.
I like the looks of that one, too, but I'm after something that would be receiver-mounted, not out there on the dovetail where the buck-horn is. Will search more around the Ranger Point site and see what the options are. I just discovered, too, that the tang-mounted sights (Marbles, primarily) require drilling and tapping a second hole, which I'm not a fan of.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:44 pm

I just discovered, too, that the tang-mounted sights (Marbles, primarily) require drilling and tapping a second hole, which I'm not a fan of.
FORTUNATELY my Winchester is the 'Klondike Sporting Rifle' which IS factory D & T with the forward hole for a tang sight.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:45 am

Doesn't look like there are many (if any) users here. Will continue to dig, but if anyone finds any intel, please pass it along. Thanks, all!
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:11 pm

ESquared wrote:Doesn't look like there are many (if any) users here. Will continue to dig, but if anyone finds any intel, please pass it along. Thanks, all!

Well, I did it. I ordered the cloverleaf with green fibre optics, front .350 red fibre optic, and .900 stainless dovetail filler for my Marlin 1895GS. Kind of a big spend on a rifle I’m not 100% sure I’m keeping forever, but maybe between this purchase, and the 405 grain 1150 FPS Winchester cowboy loads I ordered, I’ll fall in love with this Marlin? It is the ideal bush gun for where I live, and will be great for the coastal blacktail deer we have. These particular deer really only move in the foulest of weather, so the stainless and fibre optic peep will be perfect for the rainy low light conditions.

I won’t see the goods for a week or two I’d guess, but I’ll be sure to post up when I get them. I had a long chat with one of the owners of RPP yesterday, and they are good people!
2 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:36 pm

Redthies wrote:
ESquared wrote:Doesn't look like there are many (if any) users here. Will continue to dig, but if anyone finds any intel, please pass it along. Thanks, all!
Well, I did it.
Wow, talk about a thread that had been long left for dead (at least by me)! Thanks for rejuvenating it and for the update. Glad to hear you've got one on the way and about how you're going to use it. I remember those black-tailed deer from when I lived in the PNW. Growing up in white-tail country, it was quite the sight at first!

From what kind of distances would you anticipate using the cloverleaf/Marlin set-up? Please send pics once you get it installed and have some range time with it.

It seems pretty cool, and, who knows, this might just be the "better mousetrap" you were looking for!

Thanks again!
0 x

ozarkhunter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by ozarkhunter » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:53 pm

Looking forward to hearing what you think as well. I have looked at them and talked to the owner of RPP about them. They look very intriguing.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:17 pm

They look very cool to me. I am drawn to the fiber optic and looks like windage adjustment would be very easy as well. I too will enjoy any more info/results about them! Almost looks like a hybrid Skinner.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:59 pm

markiver54 wrote:Almost looks like a hybrid Skinner.
Yep, pretty much. I can't even remember how I came across it last fall, but it looked pretty cool. Just glad to see a member take the plunge and buy one, so we can get some first-hand reports!
1 x