United States of America

Re: Ranger Point CloverLeaf Peep Sight?

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:38 am

Have no idea what you mean 8-) I am so shameless :lol:
markiver54 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:38 pm
Shame on Ya'll..... :lol:
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:57 pm

Well, I did not play hooky from work. But, the sun did come out for a few hours yesterday. So, I beat feet to the range. So far, I like the Cloverleaf. The sight picture is much better than the semi-buckhorn (of course, not as good as a scope). It is great as far as open sights go. I was able to align the front post much better. Without any adjustments, I shot high and to the left (at 25 yards). I was about to adjust down and to the right (1 turn of elevation and 1 marking of windage). Not where I want to be though. Windage seems fine. But, I think I will try another 1/2 to full turn of elevation. I hope to get to the range again this weekend.

I shot 14 rounds (2-3 rounds groups), adjusting for windage than elevation. I was shooting Winchester Power-Point 150 grain. I had a mixed box of 20 (14 Winchesters, 4 Federals, 2 Hornadys). I did not think that I would get a chance to shoot 14 rounds. But, I did. I plan to pick up another box for this weekend. I will post the range results from yesterday tonight. If I can get a decent group at 100 yards (within an 8" area), I will be happy. I am looking for a grouping well enough for hunting. I like to have another rifle for hunting without a scope.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:12 pm

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the next one.
GFK wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:57 pm
Well, I did not play hooky from work. But, the sun did come out for a few hours yesterday. So, I beat feet to the range. So far, I like the Cloverleaf. The sight picture is much better than the semi-buckhorn (of course, not as good as a scope). It is great as far as open sights go. I was able to align the front post much better. Without any adjustments, I shot high and to the left (at 25 yards). I was about to adjust down and to the right (1 turn of elevation and 1 marking of windage). Not where I want to be though. Windage seems fine. But, I think I will try another 1/2 to full turn of elevation. I hope to get to the range again this weekend.

I shot 14 rounds (2-3 rounds groups), adjusting for windage than elevation. I was shooting Winchester Power-Point 150 grain. I had a mixed box of 20 (14 Winchesters, 4 Federals, 2 Hornadys). I did not think that I would get a chance to shoot 14 rounds. But, I did. I plan to pick up another box for this weekend. I will post the range results from yesterday tonight. If I can get a decent group at 100 yards (within an 8" area), I will be happy. I am looking for a grouping well enough for hunting. I like to have another rifle for hunting without a scope.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Below are my initial adjustments. As shown, I still have some work to do. But if I do my part (keep the rifle steady through the firing process), I should get to where I want to be.
CloverLeaf-25yds.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:56 pm

I would say, your grouping, on target results look pretty good already.
Dialing it in even better is not far away.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:55 pm

Good to see progress being made. Very close.
GFK wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:01 pm
Below are my initial adjustments. As shown, I still have some work to do. But if I do my part (keep the rifle steady through the firing process), I should get to where I want to be.

CloverLeaf-25yds.JPG
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Thanks for the encouragement.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:53 pm

GFK Im wondering if you have a skinner to compare it to. Id like to know what you think of that. Scopes are always going to be better but Im still thinking for me a red dot might be the way I go.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:20 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:53 pm
GFK Im wondering if you have a skinner to compare it to. Id like to know what you think of that. Scopes are always going to be better but Im still thinking for me a red dot might be the way I go.
BigAl52,
I do not have a Skinner. But, I have shot an AR-15 with a Red Dot. A guy at the club wanted me to shoot his AR-15. I think he was trying to convince me that I needed one. He asked if I wanted one now. I told him I was good with my lever action. At any rate, it seems hard to go wrong with a Red Dot, just point and shoot. I was shooting metal plates at 50 yards. Just lined up the dot and let it ripped (single shots at a time though). If I recall, it did require batteries though. That would be a downer for me. It would be one more thing that could go wrong.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Batterys in a red dot are not a big deal. They usually use a cr2032 and most have auto shut off after a period of non use. Easy to throw a 2032 in your shooting box and of the several I own I have yet to change a battery. Its really just personal choice and to each there own. Im attracted to this Ranger sight because of the fiber optics Old guys like that glowing part they offer.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55