Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dovetail filler blank?

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Dovetail filler blank?

Post by TNman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:36 pm

I’m thinking about getting a lower(than the Henry) rail for my BBSC in .41 and .357 because I have to hold my head up a bit when using the Vortex Venom on the Henry rail. I see inexpensive rails labeled for the 1894 Marlin and I’m pretty sure they will work in either a 2 hole or 3 hole application; I would cut off the excess. Now by setting the red dot lower the rear buckhorn sight ‘may’ interfere with line of sight/vision? Or maybe not? If it does interfere I would remove the rear sight and go with a filler blank in the dovetail. So that gets back to my question...which filler blank has worked best for those of you that have used one? I’m leaning toward the Marbles but see that it requires a degree of hand fitting. Thanks for any information from those of you who have traveled this road.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Dovetail filler blank?

Post by Mistered » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:46 pm

I’m leaning toward the Marbles but see that it requires a degree of hand fitting. Thanks for any information from those of you who have traveled this road.
The last ones I used were just typical style from Skinner.
They all require a degree of hand fitting.
Read my post where I outline the use of a stone (as opposed to a file) to accomplish this.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:51 pm

I got the Skinner version. I also bought their three-sided file, that's come in very handy so far, not just for the dovetail filler, but a couple of front sight swaps as well. In my opinion, 20 bucks well spent. And, it makes me feel sort of gunsmither-ish.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Ok I ordered the Skinner as they seem to be real Henry friendly...
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:12 am

TNman wrote:...which filler blank has worked best for those of you that have used one?
Have you considered reusing the dovetail piece from the buckhorn sight itself? If the dovetail can easily be separated from the buckhorn.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:02 am

I didn’t consider that thinking the dovetail and rear sight extension are one piece.
0 x

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Ok, got an Aim Sports picatinny rail for a 1894 Marlin for a lower in height (than the Henry) rail; it has two holes at the rear which fit the BBSC perfectly. It has 4 other holes toward the front for multiple applications I reckon. The front hole is about 1/16th too far rearward for a perfect fit on the 3 hole Henry pattern. Since the Vortex mounts at the rear, I cut the base and used aluminum black on the cut surface. As a bonus the combination of remaining holes in the cut off piece will work on my .357 BBSC! Got the cut base mounted and the Vortex mounted atop it; it looks great and I don’t have to do a turkey head as much as I did before. Fixing to re zero....
0 x