Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Info on the peep sight setup

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Info on the peep sight setup

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Recently while responding to a post ,tarbe was telling me about his Skinner sight setup on his .45-70. He was able to use the factory front sight and says it serves very well. He recommended using the larger aperture. This sounded very good as I would like to go with the Skinner sight but wasn't to keen on installing a new front blade. Any other thoughts or experiences on this from you folks ?
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Info on the peep sight setup

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:22 am

First, don't sweat changing out the front sight if that's what it takes. it's not hard. Second, remember the 45-70 has a loopy trajectory, in general, and there are such a wide range of loads available for it, that what works for someone else may not work for you. I used Skinner sights on many, many guns and I sure wouldn't let concern over changing the front sight keep me from trying one. Great addition to any lever gun.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:47 am

I was exactly where you are a few weeks ago, with my new BBS .357. Didn't even know what a peep sight was until I joined this forum!

I ended up putting on the Lo Pro version, as I liked its minimal look. I also ordered and extra, SMALLER aperture, as I'd been fortunate enough to have a look through one on one of PT7's Henrys. The standard aperture is fine, but, for me, anyway, the smaller diameter aperture helped me focus on the front sight better.

The Lo Pro worked perfectly with my front blade/brass bead, with a couple of simple elevation adjustments to the Lo Pro to dial things in. Even still, at 35 yards or more, that brass bead tended to just "cover up" the POI/target I was aiming at. I was still landing good hits, even at 50 yards, so what you do with the front will depend on what you intend to do with your 45-70.

As NCG notes, that round at the distances you can shoot it is a whole different ball game than a .357 at 50 yds, so I'll defer to others on how to dial in your rifle for your needs.

All that said, I also swapped in a Lyman Globe front sight with some Lee Shaver inserts and am very happy. You may or may not need one or want one, again, depending on what kind of shooting you intend to do.

Bottom line, there's so much experience and expertise here, please make sure to keep asking questions. I drove MisterEd, TractorTad, Mags, NCG, PT7 and many others crazy with my constant questions, but they've all been very patient and gracious with their responses and sharing attitudes. Have even done a few PM/offline deep dives on nitty-gritty that seemed to nitty gritty for ongoing thread talk.

Good luck and let me know how I might be able to help!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:48 pm

We have a H010CC with a Skinner "Reliable" rear peep sight and a Lyman 20 Globe/Lee Shaver inserts on the front - it really works well with my old eyes - almost as good as a 1X scope in good light.
Henry 45-70 CCH.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:01 am

North Country Gal wrote:First, don't sweat changing out the front sight if that's what it takes. it's not hard. Second, remember the 45-70 has a loopy trajectory, in general, and there are such a wide range of loads available for it, that what works for someone else may not work for you. I used Skinner sights on many, many guns and I sure wouldn't let concern over changing the front sight keep me from trying one. Great addition to any lever gun.
Thanks you ma'am.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:04 am

ESquared wrote:I was exactly where you are a few weeks ago, with my new BBS .357. Didn't even know what a peep sight was until I joined this forum!

I ended up putting on the Lo Pro version, as I liked its minimal look. I also ordered and extra, SMALLER aperture, as I'd been fortunate enough to have a look through one on one of PT7's Henrys. The standard aperture is fine, but, for me, anyway, the smaller diameter aperture helped me focus on the front sight better.

The Lo Pro worked perfectly with my front blade/brass bead, with a couple of simple elevation adjustments to the Lo Pro to dial things in. Even still, at 35 yards or more, that brass bead tended to just "cover up" the POI/target I was aiming at. I was still landing good hits, even at 50 yards, so what you do with the front will depend on what you intend to do with your 45-70.

As NCG notes, that round at the distances you can shoot it is a whole different ball game than a .357 at 50 yds, so I'll defer to others on how to dial in your rifle for your needs.

All that said, I also swapped in a Lyman Globe front sight with some Lee Shaver inserts and am very happy. You may or may not need one or want one, again, depending on what kind of shooting you intend to do.

Bottom line, there's so much experience and expertise here, please make sure to keep asking questions. I drove MisterEd, TractorTad, Mags, NCG, PT7 and many others crazy with my constant questions, but they've all been very patient and gracious with their responses and sharing attitudes. Have even done a few PM/offline deep dives on nitty-gritty that seemed to nitty gritty for ongoing thread talk.

Good luck and let me know how I might be able to help!
Hey I really appreciate it. All experiences and helpful hints are welcome.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:08 am

tractortad wrote:We have a H010CC with a Skinner "Reliable" rear peep sight and a Lyman 20 Globe/Lee Shaver inserts on the front - it really works well with my old eyes - almost as good as a 1X scope in good light.
Henry 45-70 CCH.JPG
Thank you sir. I am leaning toward that set up like you have
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:
tractortad wrote:We have a H010CC with a Skinner "Reliable" rear peep sight and a Lyman 20 Globe/Lee Shaver inserts on the front - it really works well with my old eyes - almost as good as a 1X scope in good light.
Henry 45-70 CCH.JPG
You can never go wrong following TT's guidance. Look forward to seeing how it all comes together for you. Hope your Heirloom comes through soon!!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:34 pm

ESquared wrote:
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:
Henry 45-70 CCH.JPG
You can never go wrong following TT's guidance. Look forward to seeing how it all comes together for you. Hope your Heirloom comes through soon!!
Me too ! And thanks a lot for the link. I sent a message to Denette this evening late. Should hear from her Monday I'm hoping. Yeah , I've been looking at the Lyman Globe front sight and the different inserts. Paired with the Skinner peep should be an excellent sight setup. Lots of helpful info from lot of good folks. I really am enjoying this forum and the folks.
0 x