Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Buckhorn Sights

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Buckhorn Sights

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:03 pm

OK .... I have a confession to make .. :roll: .. when it comes to open sights, I like classic a Buckhorn rear sight like the ones OEM's installed by Henry and other similar notch rear sights .... I guess that stems from early on firing my Grandfather's Model 94 30-30, his Remington Model 12 22LR pump, my Remington Model 742, Ruger 44 Mag carbine, and the rear notch sight on my BLR .... during those years we were bear/boar hunting in the mountains of Western NC in areas where 50 yards was a long shot and didn't come around very often .... once we moved to flatter lands and started hunting on land where shots of hundreds of yards, I moved to adding scopes to our rifles .... the only peep sights I find like are adding a flip up rear peep that turns the factory buckhorn into a middle sight .. ;)
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Buckhorn Sights

Post by Cofisher » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:53 pm

True confession time. I have always been only average at shooting. The addition of the Skinner peep was an amazing improvement. Apparently, I never developed the sight discipline needed for the buckhorn rear.

Actually, I am glad to have gotten to this day with improved sights. My pride has always been able to take the back seat when an idea needs to change.

Kind of like my fly fishing. We don’t need no stinkin rules. Just fish and have fun.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Can I shoot with Buckhorns? Yes but it depends on the Buckorn/front sight combo and that can take some experimenting to get right. Sorry to say but the stock Buckhorn on my Henry BBB leaves a lot to be desired. Thin narrow blade and I had to enlarge the U groove on it to get any kind of consistency with it. The older Winchester Buckhorns (and some other brands) were pretty nice with wider 'Horns' and thicker, and easier to adjust blades. Bottom line is for me there in nothing other than a Williams receiver sight for my levers and I can usually put a Williams on any lever and shoot quite well with whatever front the rifle has on it. A peep sight works by simply forcing your eye to naturally center any object in the center. I can't emphasize enough for anyone who is serious about their shooting to try a rifle with a peep sight - you may become a convert!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:32 am

I'd really like to be able to shoot with the Henry buckhorns, JEBar, and they look cool on the rifles.
Sadly, with these elder eyes, no can do.

Agree with Cofisher & Mistered that peep sights are very good to shoot with.
Love the Skinner receiver-mounted ghost-ring on my Henry SGC.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:32 am

I tend to believe that much depends on what you are used to and on the conditions under which you are hunting/shooting .... in my case, my number one choice for a rifle sight is a scope (point in fact, a Nikon scope) .... the one exception is if I'm hunting at very short ranges, basically buckshot range .... then I want a buckhorn type rear sight with some florescent accents .... understandably, other folks will make other choices .... we each want and need to use what's right for us
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:55 am

Could you expand on what "fluorescent accents" are? Not familiar with that for buckhorns...
JEBar wrote:I tend to believe that much depends on what you are used to and on the conditions under which you are hunting/shooting .... in my case, my number one choice for a rifle sight is a scope (point in fact, a Nikon scope) .... the one exception is if I'm hunting at very short ranges, basically buckshot range .... then I want a buckhorn type rear sight with some florescent accents .... understandably, other folks will make other choices .... we each want and need to use what's right for us
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 am

they are standard sights that have a couple of florescent dots on the rear sight and another on the front sight .... they are common on many handguns and I have seen them on hunting rifles .... I believe that Williams makes them for Marlins and Winchesters .... years ago I had them on an Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer with a slug barrel .... they really worked well in low light conditions and in helping to quickly focus on a target
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:06 pm

So far, I really like the challenge of the 1860 factory sights. My rifle is pretty accurate with the ladder down out to 50 yards, and it's fun to play with the ladder out to 100+ yds. I shoot lots of 8" splash targets which I can spot up to 50 yds, but I need to get some larger paper splash ones for the longer shots. Or a set of binoculars. My plan this summer is to get on some sort of a target at 200 yds from a one-knee position. Old time cowboy shot. We'll see.
5 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:26 pm

Actually, the original idea of buckhorn sights is pretty cool. You could use the bottom notch with the bead for precision work, then use the center of the buckhorn kind of like a crude peep sight for longer distances or quick shots and, finally, the very top of the buckhorn for way out there. Must have worked, given they were so common in their day. Have to wonder, though, if folks back in the old days had better eyesight than use modern shooters. :)
4 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:24 pm

:shock: Hombres shooting back at you might make one a better shooter in a hurry....
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully