Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester Buckhorn

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Winchester Buckhorn

Post by Mistered » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Fitted a Winchester buckhorn and blade front on my BB. I had to modify the blade mount to allow for more adjustment so I hope to try this out today and see what happens!
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Winchester Buckhorn

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:45 pm

Interesting. Look forward to your comments on it.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Winchester Buckhorn

Post by Mistered » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:28 pm

Well the buckhorn/blade combo did not do well - but part of the problem is the front blade is too tall and I do not have enough lift on the rear to bring the POI up on target. However I DID convince myself I need to put a peep sight on it as after my eye surgery last year while highly successful (cataract) it left my short range sight less than desirable and I don't get as nice sight picture with a buckhorn as I used to. I installed a new Williams on my Winchester 66 Commemorative and was shooting ragged one hole groups at 50 yards with it within a few shots. Therefore I have a Williams WGRS on the way for the Henry and hopefully will see it Friday. Interestingly I CAN shoot my 1899 Winchester quite well with it's original buckhorn but it is the vintage 'full' buckhorn and I can see it pretty well - but a peep Is what I will always got to if a 'new' sight is needed. The Williams on the 66 Commemorative below:
0 x