Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

elevation adjustment rear sight Model H001T

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: elevation adjustment rear sight Model H001T

Post by DAVIDF » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:06 am

Redstickboy wrote:Thanks for all the prompt, helpful feedback. I may fool with the small adjustment just because I can! Don't intend to try to be that accurate with the rifle. If I can get some rounds in a decent group at 25-30 yards I might try to make an adjustment with the thin blade but...!
I adjust it all the time for fine adjustments at 40 to 100 yards. Just a tiny movement can move the point of impact quite a bit at 100 yards. Not quite as critical at 25. It can also move slightly left or right. My Big Boy tends to shoot a little left, so I lay it down on it's right (ejector side) and loosen the set screw. That way the blade will move to the right side of the sight. I use my tiny screwdriver to move the blade up or down very slightly. I also use a bright flashlight pointed at the blade so I can see a tiny movement easier. Just adjusted it this morning after shooting a new hand load at 50 yards. Tried to adjust it slightly up so point of impact will be 1 1/2" high at 100 yards. I'll see how close I am on Wednesday.

You can also adjust left or right by tapping the front or rear sight in their dovetails. The rear sight has a set screw just like the fine tab. When moving the rear sight, I use a soft pencil to trace an outline of the sight on the barrel and then tap gently with a small plastic or brass mallet to move the sight.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Redstickboy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: elevation adjustment rear sight Model H001T

Post by Redstickboy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks again for all of the great info/tips. NOW, if will just stop raining and warm up a bit, I'll go out tour property48 acres) and put some of the tips to good use!
0 x