Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner Dovetail Slot Scope Mount

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Skinner Dovetail Slot Scope Mount

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Have an old favorite rifle that offers no way to add a scope or even a receiver mounted peep? Well, you can always add the excellent Skinner Barrel mount peep, as I have done many times on many rifles. Great solution. What if your old eyes still need something a bit more visible than a peep, though? Too bad you can't add a red dot out there on the barrel, too.

Actually there is a way to add a small red dot to an old vintage gun, thanks to the Skinner Dovetail Slot Mount, found all the way down at the bottom of Skinner's scope mount page. http://www.skinnersights.com/scope_mounts_31.html

How does it work. Pretty simple. Remove the factory rear sight. Add the Skinner Mount, just like you would the Skinner barrel peep sight. Looks like this when done on a 9422. Took me less than 5 minutes

Even put one on my Browning SA-22, this week. Note, however, that the Browning dovetail on the SA-22 or the BLR 22 is NOT standard. Runs deeper than a standard dovetail. Took me a LOT of filing to get the Skinner Dovetail Mount on this one, but it was well worth it, as we'll see. (Andy, would love to see a Browning version. I'll buy a few, for sure.)

Next step is to add the correct style red dot. Needs to be one of the small micro style dots that use one single cross bolt to attach to the mount. A Burris Fastfire is a good example, but my favorite is the more affordable Bushnell TRS-25 here with its singe cross bolt.

Guns are ready for some sight in work and target work, now.

Does it work?

Actually, knew it would, all along, because I once made my own crude version of this setup from an old Weigand pistol mount for a Ruger Mark.
Took me darn near a week of cutting and filing, to get it done, though. Swore never again to go though all that work. Decided to wait for someone else to come up with one. Now Skinner has. Thank-you Skinner. Much appreciated.

Conclusion and some observations.
Lots of advantages, here, beyond the many advantages of a receiver mounted red dot. For one, you can usually mount the red dot lower on the gun than with a receiver mounted setup, because on most guns the barrel sits lower than the receiver. Depending on the gun, this may allow you to get some of that all precious cheek weld back that you sacrificed when you added a scope or even a receiver mounted red dot. This was especially evident on the little Browning, after having shot the gun with a scope, last week. In fact, the Browning fits me so well with the Skinner Dovetail Mount/Bushnell TRS 25 combo, now, that it's almost like the gun was made for this setup. (Did I mention how I continue to be amazed at how well the little Browning shoots?)

Another plus for mounting that red dot out on the barrel, scout style, is that it leaves the receiver clear and thus making the gun easier to carry and handle. My little Browning thinks so, too.

Will be adding another Skinner Dovetail Slot Mount to some other old vintage rifles, soon. (These old eyes ain't getting any younger. :))

Thanks, once again, Skinner Sights.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Skinner Dovetail Slot Scope Mount

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Speaking of th SA-22, will soon be adding the special Skinner SA-22 Low Pro II our other vintage SA-22.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Great shooting. I've never been able to be all that accurate with a red dot but find they are really fast to acquire a target. I've thought of putting one on my Mare's Leg.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:20 am

I find that with a red dot, it helps to concentrate equally between the red dot AND the target, trying to merge them into one. With a scope or irons, I tend to focus mostly on the reticle or front sight. Using a red dot is like using any other type of sight in that it takes practice.

Out to 50 yards, I can generally do a bit better with a red dot than a peep sight, for average group size, day in and day out because I need good light to get the most out of the peep. Don't get a lot of those days, up here.

Have done well with red dots and irons, too, out to 100 yards, but at that distance, target visibility and sharpness becomes a bigger issue for these old eyes. Past 50 yards, now, I really need a scope for better target visibility.
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:24 pm

Nice option for those that feel the need.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:35 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Using a red dot is like using any other type of sight in that it takes practice.
agree .... the Aimpoint on our Redhawk really performs well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:58 am

Nice rig. Aimpoint is as good as it gets.

More and more, I've been switching over to red dots. Have been using them for years on handguns and now I'm using them on rifles, too. Ease of use, effectiveness and simplicity of operation make for a great sighting system, traditional or not.
1 x