Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Help !!!!!!! Sighting in Skinner express sight

Jim0249
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Help !!!!!!! Sighting in Skinner express sight

Post by Jim0249 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:13 am

Just got my new Big Boy All Weather 357 and installed Andy Skinner's Express sight and cannot hit the broad side of a barn with it! I've set my sighting target out at 25 yards and have shot several rounds noting the impact area after which I adjust the sight either for elevation and or windage according to Andy's enclosed instruction that came with the sight. After firing several more rounds after the adjustments I find that I'm worse off than when I started??? Am I missing something here? Any suggestions? I have Andy' Skinner's sights on 3 other Henry 22s with great results but cannot get the Big Boy sighted in. Again, I have Andy's Express Sight on the rear with the stock front sight that came with the gun from Henry. Please? Suggestions? Very frustrated! Thanks!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Help !!!!!!! Sighting in Skinner express sight

Post by PT7 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:43 pm

I had difficulties sighting in my BBS .357 Carbine also at 25 yards from target. I had replaced the buckhorn sights with a barrel-mounted Skinner peep. Had a real problem getting a POI on paper! When I finally got there, I decided to not use the barrel-mounted Skinner, and instead bought/installed a Skinner Express sight.

This time for sighting in, using the Express, I started out by simply bringing my target in to 15 yards distance. That helped me find the POIs quite easily. Sighted it at that distance, then re-sighted at my usual 25 yards. Then did some plinking at 50 yards, and the iron sights were in good shape. This is the only adjust I would know how to do. Hopefully, others will provide some help your way.
2 x

~Пока~

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:52 pm

Get Closer!
1 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:20 pm

agree with getting closer to the target ..... 5 to 10 yards for the first couple of rounds can speak volumes .... then back up a few yards for a few rounds until you feel certain you have the sights adjusted to where they rifle is grouping the bullets
1 x

Jim0249
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Jim0249 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks all! Maybe that's it? Will try getting closer, then progressing outward
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:00 pm

For me sighting in can be very frustrating. My dyslexia sets in and after several corrections realize I've been working everything backward.
I then have to stop a rethink the problem.
That's with arrows showing what way to turn foe left and right, up and down.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Nitetrain40
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Nitetrain40 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:26 am

PT7 wrote:I had difficulties sighting in my BBS .357 Carbine also at 25 yards from target. I had replaced the buckhorn sights with a barrel-mounted Skinner peep. Had a real problem getting a POI on paper! When I finally got there, I decided to not use the barrel-mounted Skinner, and instead bought/installed a Skinner Express sight.

This time for sighting in, using the Express, I started out by simply bringing my target in to 15 yards distance. That helped me find the POIs quite easily. Sighted it at that distance, then re-sighted at my usual 25 yards. Then did some plinking at 50 yards, and the iron sights were in good shape. This is the only adjust I would know how to do. Hopefully, others will provide some help your way.
So you used the sight express mounted to your receiver, correct? If so, did you leave the stock front post on?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:56 am

Welcome to the forum from CT, Nitetrain.

I installed the Skinner Express on the receiver of my H006M and did not change the stock front sight. But, I only shoot at an indoor range, limited to 25 yards. Other members have needed to replace the front sight for shooting at greater distances. If you poke around a bit, you'll find a few comments on what worked for them. This is a great forum for valuable information. You'll enjoy the company.
Nitetrain40 wrote:
PT7 wrote:I had difficulties sighting in my BBS .357 Carbine also at 25 yards from target. I had replaced the buckhorn sights with a barrel-mounted Skinner peep. Had a real problem getting a POI on paper! When I finally got there, I decided to not use the barrel-mounted Skinner, and instead bought/installed a Skinner Express sight.

So you used the sight express mounted to your receiver, correct? If so, did you leave the stock front post on?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"