Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner Tuning.

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Skinner Tuning.

Post by Squatch » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:28 am

Just a couple of reminders that may help you set up your sights.

Never over tighten the peep stem when adjusting the height. This drives the sight downward and raises and possibly warps the windage plate. Can you say ruined brass sight?

Skinner peep stems can be filed shorter if you need to lower the rear even farther.

Skinner is now offering both taller and shorter than standard peep stems. I have a couple of the taller ones. I'm going to need one of them on my 45/70 to compensate for bullet drop at long range.
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Skinner Tuning.

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Good points. Thanks. Given the huge variety of loads for the 45-70, I think it's a good idea on the part of Skinner to offer this option.
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Skinner Tuning.

Post by Squatch » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:03 pm

I just thought of another Skinner tip.

I normally use the small .040 aperture in my Skinners. It seems like every time I pull out one of my rifles at the range there is something like a small spider web or powder grain or lint semi blocking the small aperture. I carry a mid sized paper clip in my little sight box to clear the hole. Sometimes this can take some doing. A guy at the range yesterday said that might be because of static holding it in place. I think he might be on to something. I think I may try to spray some anti stat spray on my apertures. But the paper clip or a small wire is a must to carry.
2 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.