Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Open Sights, Stubbornness, and what I learned from North Country Gal

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Open Sights, Stubbornness, and what I learned from North Country Gal

Post by ditto1958 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:32 pm

This morning, I was getting organized for going to the range tomorrow AM, and when I got my Henry H001 out, I took off the Hiviz fiber optic front sight and replaced,it with the OEM sight. I looked down the barrel, and had one of those "wow" moments. I realized that, after a few years of being a stubborn blockhead, I have at last learned something about shooting.

When I got my H001, back on Labor Day weekend of 2012,* I liked it, but I didn't love it. Mostly, i didn't like the sights. I quickly ordered up a Hiviz, installed it, and really, really liked it and the rifle. But, I still never could ever seem to shoot the Henry as well as I could shoot my Ruger 10/22 (it came with a semi-buckhorn rear sight, and a brass bead front sight).

Over the years, I have read about, seen on videos, had it told to me in person: "I prefer to use a 6 o'clock hold." I listened, I understood it, I couldn't argue with them. Awhile back here, NCG responded to at least one of my threads about my struggles to become a better shooter, by doing an excellent job of explaining how to shoot targets using a 6 o'clock hold, and why it's possible to shoot really tiny stuff at long range using iron sights.

Yet, for a long time somehow it never really sank in. And, I'm not at all sure why. It seems so simple when you have it explained, and when you look at a nice diagram of a sight picture (we have those on the wall at the range). Why didn't I get it?

Well, I guess the good think is that (at last) it seems to be sinking in for me. I still have a LONG way to go before I could ever begin to think of myself as a good shooter, but I've made a lot of progress, particularly over the past few months.
5 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Open Sights, Stubbornness, and what I learned from North Country Gal

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:55 pm

When I saw the title of the post, I almost read it as you learned stubbornness from me. :) That's not always a bad thing, but I'd rather get credit for helping someone to shoot, especially one of my many pals here on this forum.

After all these years, I'm still learning and tweaking and experimenting. Knowing it all would take all the fun out of it for me. Hope I never get there. Pretty sure I'm safe, though. Still have lots of things I want to try.

Anyway, bless you for such nice comments. Glad I could help.
3 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Open Sights, Stubbornness, and what I learned from North Country Gal

Post by Henry88 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 pm

This makes sense to me, as the hirez is too big to hold on a small target at distance, you have to use the 6 oclock.

I'm hanging in with the hirez on my H001 but may switch to something else.
0 x