Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My new Skinner has arrived - almost!

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

My new Skinner has arrived - almost!

Post by Les » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:41 am

I returned from London this afternoon to find a card from the Post office telling me that they have a parcel there for me, but that there is import duty to pay.

The Customs Duty comes to $23.34, and the Post Office 'handling charge' is $10.37 - a total of $33.71 in duties. This is approximately an extra 33% on top of the total cost of the order, which makes for an expensive sight.

On the other hand, I can't wait to go and collect it - probably tomorrow morning - so I can fit it to my H001T. I've ordered a Skinner receiver mounted peep sight and a higher front post, as well as a couple of dovetail sight blanks and plug screws. I'll see how I get on with the post first, but I think eventually I'll end up getting a Lyman front globe sight.

Roll on Saturday! I'll let you all know how I get on, and post a pic or three once everything is fitted. ;)

Watch this space. Image
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: My new Skinner has arrived - almost!

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 am

That is pricey just to get the government to allow you to have it.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:53 am

Unfortunately, SH, it's a case of "If you don't pay, you can't play", so it doesn't leave a lot of wriggle room. ;) :lol:
0 x

Tape
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Tape » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Les, what is exactly the laws in the UK for owning firearms? I thought they were outlawed. I remember reading that when it happened all citizens were to take their firearms to law enforcement and hand them over.
0 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:34 am

Tape wrote:Les, what is exactly the laws in the UK for owning firearms? I thought they were outlawed. I remember reading that when it happened all citizens were to take their firearms to law enforcement and hand them over.
Gun ownership over here can be very complicated, but here goes.

Up until 1996, it was legal to own rifles, shotguns and handguns, but after a shooting incident at a school in 1996 in which 16 pupils were killed, it became illegal to own handguns.

We can still buy handguns, but they must conform to certain measurements. The barrel has to be at least 12" long, and the overall length must not be less than 24", so a metal bracket is fitted to the grip to make the gun longer. They are the ugliest, most stupid looking things you've ever seen, but people still buy them. This only applies to mainland Britain. Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man can still buy 'normal' handguns.

The only semi auto handguns we have are in .22, and they must also conform to the above size measurements.

Rifles can be purchased, without caliber limitations, but only .22 rifles are available in semi auto. Everything else will be bolt action.

To own any firearm in the UK, you must show "good reason" for wanting to own them. The two most common reasons are for target shooting or pest control. If you are a member of an approved target shooting club, then you can apply for a firearms certificate - FAC. Similarly, if you have your own land, or you have permission to shoot on sombody else's land, you can apply for a certificate. The land must be passed by the police as being suitable for the caliber that you're using. You won't get permission to buy a .50 cal if you only have half an acre to shoot on, for instance. ;)

Every firearm must be applied for, and a 'slot' is put on your certificate before you can buy anything. For example, if you want to buy a .38/.357, you must sent your certificate to the police, telling them what you want the rifle for. They will then - if you're lucky - send you your certificate back with the permission to buy the rifle. The system is a pain, but it works.

Shotguns need their own certificate. Once you have a shotgun certificate - SGC - you can buy as many shotguns as you want, providing you have adequate safe storage facilities.

There are various classes of FAC's and SGC's, but the above is the basic formula. It sounds like a pain in the neck, and sometimes it is, but it's a case of playing by the rules, I suppose. :D
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:12 am

Les you mentioned all the duty you must pay in order to buy a skinner sight. Can someone over here buy it then ship it to you as a gift or something and get away from paying that duty? Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:19 am

BigAl52 wrote:Les you mentioned all the duty you must pay in order to buy a skinner sight. Can someone over here buy it then ship it to you as a gift or something and get away from paying that duty? Al
Al, it's a nice thought but I suspect that it would still be inspected by our beloved Customs department. It's not a problem any more, though, because I collected the sight yesterday and paid the duty, so it is now fitted to the rifle.

I checked it last night at the club, and I'll have to fit the higher front sight that I bought. I tested the rifle with the original front sight, but the POI is too high, so it's back to the workbench. I'll take the file with me the next time I test it.;)
3 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:26 pm

There are some restrictive rules here too.
Geez, if you want to own a suppressor you have to fill out the paperwork, and wait three or four months, but the approval is for that suppressor. If it's for a 22 and will fit four handguns and four rifles, you can swap it around. If you want another, you have to apply again.

If you want to own a full auto firearm, the application process is longer, the fee higher, and if approved, you agree that they can audit at any time. However, I know several collectors here that have large collections with no problems.

Concealed carry permits used to be a problem unless you were connected, but in most states they are shall issue unless they can show cause. $50 fee here gets you a five year permit. I just renewed, took seven days, but my background...
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.